The Nissan project car thread

Discussion in 'Modified / Tuned Cars' started by PoWeReD By NoS, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Petro Canada has been advertising 94 Octane for some time.

2. thats the sunoco 94.

3. The new Flex Fuel engines that are out have smart ECU's. Its one of the few things I like with new tech.

4. i'm aware but theres something with the fuel itself that produces less power.

have a customer with a newer turbo. the car with a professional driver ran 1.2 seconds slower with the 94 sunoco then the 93 shell fuel.

5. ethenol has a lower power output that gasoline. So in order to get the same amount of power, you need to burn more ethanol. Which is why people who tune their high power cars to run on e85 usually never get better than 15mpg.

The only real reason people run it is because its cheaper than high octane fuel you get at the pump and 1/3 the price of the 100 octane race fuel they'd otherwise have to run.

It also burns cleaner.

6. agreed. but somehow I doubt anyone will tune a car specifically to run on a fuel that they can't get everywhere. granted I know that e85 is easily availible in many places just not around me.

7. 1.2 seconds, and you come to the conclusion its fuel?

Edit: I'm also considering C16

8. Just picked this up for free. I want to mount it on a wall or something.

9. The standard field up here in the great white north are 87,89 and 91. As mentioned there are a few places that carry 94.
    I have not noticed any difference what so ever on the 94 over 91. But I get quite a difference from 87 to 91. The Geni apparently makes 20hp less on 89(required) vs 91(recommended). I also get better fuel mileage on 91. If I fill up in Kelowna I make it to Airdrie on a tank of 89 and Red deer on 91 at a steady 130kph.
    I contract for Husky so I get a deal on their fuel. But o prefer Shells fuel for some reason

10. The standard fuel up here in the great white north are 87,89 and 91. As mentioned there are a few places that carry 94.
    I have not noticed any difference what so ever on the 94 over 91. But I get quite a difference from 87 to 91. The Geni apparently makes 20hp less on 89(required) vs 91(recommended). I also get better fuel mileage on 91. If I fill up in Kelowna I make it to Airdrie on a tank of 89 and Red deer on 91 at a steady 130kph.
    I contract for Husky so I get a deal on their fuel. But o prefer Shells fuel for some reason

11. Isnt the standard fuels up here in the great white north are 87,89 and 91. As mentioned there are a few places that carry 94.

12. those are the exact fuels we get up here. always best to run the fuel recommenended for your car as it will be more powerful and fuel efficient then the other options

13. Absolutely. Though its nice that the newer cars won't knock or anything with a lower grade fuel. The owners manual states that regular is required but for maximum performance 91 is recommended.

Its a night and day difference though.

14. exactly. you'd be shocked at the amount of cars that are 5-6 years old that should have been run on premium that have never used it. causes so many problems

15. I remember selling a supercharged Corolla (seriously) to a guy when I worked for Toyota. Came back within a month with problems. It was 6 months old when he bought it as an ex-demonstrator and he hadn't been using 97RON as recommended (around 93/94 in usa & canadia)

Judging by the kind of guy he was it was almost certain he'd been driving it like a cock with very few miles on it. Couple that to the fact that he didn't want to pay 5p/litre more for the recommended fuel and it all culminated in him needing a new supercharger, IIRC.

Wrong fuel? No warranty!

pic: Corolla "TTE Compressor". It was a run-out model of 250 units before they finally killed off the Corolla in the UK, and it didn't sell well. I think most of them were pre-registered and sold cheap - it didn't take long for people to realise that it cost as much as a GTI full price and was nowhere near as capable. That being said, I reckon it'd probably be an interesting, if flawed used prospect these days.

16. Supercharged 2zz hnnng

17. Kind of wish we got those in Canada. Kind of.

18. It's just a shame they put it in a Corolla, and not the MR2.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this Corolla came out around the time the MR2 was killed off. All they did for the MR2 was put special leather and suede seats into the last 300 cars which had a unique number embroidered into the back of the headrest. I think they all came with the hardtop & a/c option, too.

An 80hp boost in power would have been a proper send off.