There was terrorism in Spain?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by carguy8007, Mar 23, 2006.

1. #1 carguy8007, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    No, but seriously, I've been reading about Eta's ceasfire. ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4839554.stm , for a summary)

And, of course, I'm American, so I don't know anything except what Pat Robertson and Doctor Dobson tell me, but I really wasn't aware of the scale of Eta's campaign. I sort of understand the Basque movement, but was Eta really that significant, or damaging to Spain?

I mean, according to the BBC, they've killed 800 people in the past fourty years. That doesn't sound like much. Consider that the IRA killed more than 3000 people during the Troubles, and Ireland is a hell of a lot smaller than Spain. It just doesn't seem that significant.

Am I wrong? Can any Europeans (or more specifically, Spaniards) shed some light on this?

2. "Spain has terrorrism!? Over what, soccer games?" -MC777

3. I heard 80 deaths on the radio.

4. They were quite fearsome for the citizens. Reality is, in their attacks of the past few years or so, no one died since 2003, so they got better already.

5. 3000 people in a couple buildings doesn't sound like much either.

6. Of course it was a serious problem. Politics, businessmen, policemen and simple citizens have lived afraid of suffering a bombing every morning for more than 40 years.
    800 people sure are a lot for a terrorist group, and terrorism has been the most important problem for citizens during years. And you can't count just the terrorist blasts; every weekend the "kale borroka" appears, young people in favour of ETA systematically attacks any sign of anti-Euskadi independency: banks, political parties headquarters, police stations, businessmen who refused to pay the "revolutionary tax"...

Of course it is significant. If you want to know any more specific thing just tell me, this is the most overall answer which has come to my mind.

7. I know, the title was a play on that.

8. #8 naranhito, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  9. I also read that Eta lost a lot of support after the 3/11 bombings (which makes sense). Does this mean that, prior to that, they were like the IRA, in that many people did actually support their cause silently, if not publically endorsing the methods?

I mean, you describe their killing as relatively random (as opposed to, say, basically just Protestants having to fear the IRA), so it doesn't seem like there could have been any real widespread support.

10. 3000 people in a matter of hours. Completely different.

11. In one day. All innocent.

And that was pretty uncalled for. I didn't even bring it up, and purposely, because I knew that would bring up a whole other host of issues. And, moreover, the IRA is a much more comparable example than al-Qaeda.

12. Well, ETA isn't really comparable to IRA, as there is no religion component involved in ETA's ideology. They believe in an independent Euskadi (Basque Country) and all their killings are planned for that purpose. The killings are not random, but targeted against those who hurt their organisation (judges, policemen, civil guards), those who are against their aim (politics who believe in a united Spain) or those who don't "collaborate" with them (businessmen refusing to fund them...) Anyway, bombs have also been set in order to cause terror in the population and government and as a way to keep their image alive [ETA has killed nobody since 2003 but has exploded several bombs to catch attention, i.e. on highways during a holiday, at the door of an ultraright-wing party...]

And yeah, some part of the population supports them. The Basque population finds itself divided in 2 parts: those who want to remain as a Spanish Autonomic Community and those who want to become an independent country. The latter, may defend his ideas in a political way (supporting the PNV - Basque Nationalist Party) or supporting violence (in favour of Batasuna - ETA's recently illegalised party- and ETA).
    And so, there are people who think ETA is doing good for Euskadi and against the "Opressor Spanish State" and support ETA's bombs and assassination or attend strikes and meetings. Those who are willing to enter ETA are those who perform the Kale Borroka, burning urban equipment, buildings, etc...

13. the life of a community of people is more valuable if they die at the same time.

14. i thought the same thing.

15. The IRA isn't relgiously motivated. They're trying to get Northern Ireland to be integrated into the Republic of Ireland, a territorial goal, very similar to Eta, it seems (it just so happens that the political boundaries tend to fall along religion lines, but not necessarily).

But otherwise, very interesting. Thanks.

16. you're such a retarded twat. You trivialized the 800 people that died in spain, so I trivializeed your misguided, patriotic hard on.

17. I didn't trivialize it, I said "It doesn't seem that significant, am I wrong?" Naranhito explained it to me, and I now understand why it absolutely is significant.

Where the #$%# was I patriotic? I made a self-deprecating joke about the US, and did not once mention 9/11, or anything of the sort, because, quite frankly, it was inapplicable. The significance of 3000 people dying on one day is not necessarily less or more than 3000 (or almost 1000) dying over the course of forty years. They're significant in very different ways. One shocks the country, the other gradually takes a toll, shaping and chipping away at a country's esteem. Seriously, where the #$%# did you make the assumption that I was being patriotic?

Had I compared the Spanish situation to 9/11, I still think that wouldn't be patriotic, but rather provincial and misguided. You're clearly being the retarded twat here. I was trying to learn more about Spain; you're trying to use my curiosity to reinforce your anti-American prejudices.

18. I hope everyone did; that was the point... it was joke, a play on mclaren's comment. I thought he had said "There is terrorism in Spain?" I guess that would have been more obvious.

19. seriously some peoples ignorance about the world is astounding. Next it will be, The IRA? what they hell is that?

20. what's Ireland? I thought it was a famous church in england.

21. oooouuuuch

22. "There's terrorism in Spain?! Over what, soccer games?"

^^^ That was probably my best SC.net quote of all time.

23. haha, that was quite good.

24. It's amazing, so much so that I considered it part of the SC.net lexicon, making a play on it in the title.

25. Indeed, I approve of the title of this thread. Good work!