This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Discussion in '1995 Ford GT90 Concept' started by MarkM91286, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Re:

If there was no time in shifting involved and the engine could take the preassure, a 100 speed transmission would hit 60 instantly but the top speed would be very slow. If you had a 1 speed and an engine that can take it, it would hit 60 in a minute but the top speed would be insanely high. These of course are like in a vacuum chamber and the road is straight and long. What are found in vehicles today are the comprimise between top speed, acceleration, and efficiency. Aceleration requires power and lots of it but when your cruising, it barely needs any power so it is translated to mor speed...the purpose of the transmission.

2. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

browndoggie, if you would have paid attention to what i was writing you would have noticed me say that the first gear acceleration would be better on the gt90 had it been a 6 instead of a 5 speed. if a car company makes a car with a five speed and then changes the five speed to a six, is it not common sense to believe that they would try to optimize the running of the car, therefore is it not common sense that the car would have a larger first gear (unless the company screwed around with the final drive ratio but lets not delve too deeply into this). based on this could we not effectively postulate that the car, with a greater force acting on it, would have better first gear acceleration. please take note that i said nothing of 0-60 because yes there is the time the driver takes to shift added in there (although in a car like this i doubt that the driver would get too far into the gears by the time he reaches 60). and as smart as we both are i think that if the formula 1 cars have six speeds then there truly must be some advantage (aside of course from the better spread of power throughout the speeds).

3. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

sorry, i forgot this in my last post. the reason that the cars you mentioned went faster in 5th is because the faster a car goes the greater tha drag acting on it and if the gear doesnt have enough power to overcome the drag then the gear cannot realize it's full top speed potential. for the sake of argument though, with no wind resistance the smaller ther gear the faster it can make a car go.

4. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Maksim - this is partly true, but also dependant on the gear box. For example, Chevy just added a .60 overdrive to their 5-speed T1000 transmission for the Vette and SS/WS6's. The 1st gear remains the same.

Understood, except that in the real world, there is a coefficient of drag, so it's kind of pointless to leave it out. You're not wrong, just right under perfect, impossible cinditions.

5. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Formula 1 cars use a seven speed not six, so yeah, I think we can conclude that if used effectively, more gears are an advantage.

6. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

browndoggie, not spreading out the gears a little after adding another one to a transmission is not a sign of optimal acceleration it's a sign of laziness. more so than that it's a sign that chevy is taking into account profitability over performance. if the gears remain the same then the chevy people don't have to change much, do testing in lower gears to obtain optimal distribution of power, as that is already complete and so they decided that the transmission doesn't need an overhaul most likely based on consumer response. the expected difference in sales probably didn't cover the costs of the change in the production lines, research and all those man hours so they left it all the same, "patched on" another gear and put on a big grin.

7. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

well said!!

8. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

awesome i want one of those!!!

9. Re:

If this is what the future looks like then the future sucks..for ford that is muahaha!

10. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

This car is an inspiration to fords current interest in supercars and speed, its getting back to its roots

11. Re:

Can this car reach over 1200 hp?

12. Re: Re:

On record, no. If it were produced and some company tampered with it, easily.

13. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

i have to agree, but unfortunately, to the general public, this car has been forgotten about and discarded...much like the batmobile from batman returns...it is a great shame that this car wont receive the attention and status it deserves...much like the batmobile...

14. Re: Re:

Not if you're one of those guys whos happens to like warranties or engines that stay in one piece.

15. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Whaddaya mean "roots"? This is the first supercar from Ford, I think. Was there before?

16. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Some F1 cars use a 7-speed, some a 6-speed.

17. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

we, european, we made a supercar drivable and that u can buy...
    bugatti veyron 1001 horses, 4 turbos, 0-300 kph 13 secondes...
    any questions??
    gt 90 was THE american supercar...sorry to say that usa is now far away in question of car production...

18. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

The first well know supercar built by Ford was the 999. It set a world record for top speed way back. It was so fast (over 91 mph), Henry Ford himself refused to drive it.

19. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

wow we've got the very middle class ford fan here....he give us a 1956 statistic...ford make standard cars for everyone, but no supercars...it' what they reach, they said it...
    you watched too much nascar...

20. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

oh yeah, this car is a v-12 beast. it looks like the rocket that it is. 235 MPH!!!!!!!!!

21. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

This is a beautiful car. This is a fast car. This is not a technologically advanced car. The engine only put out 375 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque naturally aspirated. 4 turbos at 8 psi give 345 hp to the 6.0L. It is just 2 duratec V-6's welded together. A real supercar should put out at least 500 hp naturally aspirated. Lower the boost a bit and you can still easily put out, 750 hp. Don't get me wrong, I love this car. This was the car that made me love cars. I just wish Ford put a little more effort in to it, then we may have seen a production version.

22. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

thats y i think the stats are underrated!

23. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Yea this is a fast car, but did you ever see Top Gear when Clarkson test drove it. He said it was dreadful and it handled so badly it could hardly be kept on the road. Thats one of the reasons it never went into production as well as the expense of production. I would say the Gt40 is also a supercar

24. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

#$%# u!! this car is awsome, no matter how bad it handles, i love it!

25. Re: This car was and still is way ahead of it's time.

Yeah, but judging by your username, you're also heavily biased.