tire selection? how are azenis classed?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by f11111, Dec 23, 2004.

1. #1 f11111, Dec 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    im confused as to where the falken azenis rt-215 stands among tires performancewise.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_rt215.htm

is it a track-only tire or high-performance street tire like michelin pilot sport ps2, or bfgoodrich g-force t/a kd???

2. "Click Here for Specs"

3. Just look.

4. They'll out perform the kind of tires that usually come as original equipment on supercars, such as the Bridgestone S-03s, but they won't out perform more radical tires such as the Kumho Ecsta V700s. I use the Kumhos for every day driving, as well as competition. The Azenis should be better in the rain, but the Kumhos are good enough for me. The biggest advantage of the Azenis is the tread life. They last a lot longer, so they're more economical in the long run. The Kumhos have a tread wear rating of 60, while the Azenis have a 200 rating. This makes them legal in SCCA street class, and they're the tire of choice in that class. If you want a street legal tire with the absolute best dry weather performance, then you want Hoosiers or Kumho Ecsta V710s. Those tires are street legal, but they're not really intended for street use, and you wouldn't want to use them in the rain.

5. They'll out perform the kind of tires that usually come as original equipment on supercars, such as the Bridgestone S-03s, but they won't out perform more radical tires such as the Kumho Ecsta V700s. I use the Kumhos for every day driving, as well as competition. The Azenis should be better in the rain, but the Kumhos are good enough for me. The biggest advantage of the Azenis is the tread life. They last a lot longer, so they're more economical in the long run. The Kumhos have a tread wear rating of 60, while the Azenis have a 200 rating. This makes them legal in SCCA street class, and they're the tire of choice in that class. If you want a street legal tire with the absolute best dry weather performance, then you want Hoosiers or Kumho Ecsta V710s. Those tires are street legal, but they're not really intended for street use, and you wouldn't want to use them in the rain.

6. We recently bought BF Goodrich for our Mercedes Benz 300, its a kick ass tire, much more traction, better handling, a little harsher ride though...

7. #8 962RACER, Dec 26, 2004
    if you are looking for dot legal competition tires for autox, another cheap and well performing tire would be the dunlop sp supersports. they are softer on the sidewall for a less harsh ride(but less agressive) and got great grip yet impressive wear characteristics. overall they might be slightly down on grip from the pilot cups, hoosiers or victoracers but also wear far better. a good alternative for the weekend racer because they are very affordable.

www.tirerack.com has a sale on them right now ranging from 100-140 bucks depending on tire size.

8. #9 moosmann, Dec 26, 2004
    It's a street tire that sticks ALMOST like a race tire. They'll stick very well but they'll only last 6000-10000 miles.

9. I get about 15k miles from my Kumhos, and their tread wear rating is only 60. The Azenis has a 200 rating.

10. Treadwear means nothing. The Azenises actually wear faster than BFG T/A KDs, and they wear quicker than 140 rated Bridgestone RE050s. By the way, what car are those Khumos on?

11. a modded 93 MR2
    I doubt that anyone on this site has a better handling daily driver.

12. Hmmm...I was just assuming that you drove some ultra-light car, and that was why you were able to get such good miles on tires with a treadwear rating of 60.