Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

Discussion in '1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo' started by kid from asia, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Please, tell me bc i think 300zx TT will beat it in close call.
    Or even modifying the car.

2. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

WHICH CAR IS FASTER??? ON A STREET RACE??? NOT A DRAG RACE!
    DO YOU understand NOW?

3. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

Umm the RX7 runs low to 13.4s down the 1/4 stock i've never seen a 300 come anywhere near matching that. Not to mention if that time above of 0-100mph of 16.5 sec is even out by 2 seconds this thing aint quick. a quick 0-100 is 12 or so.

4. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

I heard from users in this site, that this spec for 300zx Twin Turbo are way off than real 0-60 and 1/4 speed.
    Plus this is 1996 300zx TT, bring out like 90~95 TT.
    And when you guys talk about 300zx don't get confused with coupe and TT. Because we are only talking about TT in here.

P.S. - is it true rx-7 wankel dies after 85k over...rotor engine is powerful but i think its hard to maintain.

5. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

Faster is a strange word. Not may people use the word in the correct context. I think both cars are exactly the same speed. I think both have an electronic limiter to 155mph. So neither is faster.
    Take the limiter off and I think the ZX is faster. Its more stream lined and is more powerful.
    But are you talking 0-60? I personally think there is nothing between them. Round a track? I dont think the RX-7 would be quicker. I have read many reviews about the ZX even one with it compairing with a RX-7, and they said it was even. The RX-7 had a tendency to kick its rear out under accelerating round a corner. Reasons given. They say it was TOO light at the rear.
    The rotary engine is amazing. Many tried to make them, but Mazda stuck with it and has made an engine that will go in the history books.
    I hear too that the engine needs rebuilds more regualary than crank engines.

People always underestimate the ZX. It does 0-60 in 5.2, 1/4 mile in 13.6. It is not a slow car, and can be upgraded to huge speed and power. Even with realtivily small money, you can make the car up to 380bhp.

Stuart

6. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

So in my opinion bottom line is that 300zx TT is better.
    I've always like them and always thought that its fast as Supra Turbo.
    I can see that supra is inline and can do more mod with it but I think 300zx TT is still comparable with Supra T.
    300zx TT is one of the best car made from Nissan.

by the way I just saw mr-2gt beat rx-7. and older model c5 corvette losing to rx-7
    so do the math and tell me which car is fastr haha...
    4 cyl beating v8 how nice...

7. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

They are all very simalar in performance as stock. Personally, if one car beats another in 1/4 miles it will 90% be down to the driver
    MR-2 Turbo is a very fast car. 0-60 in 5.2-5.4 Its light and that helps. Plus it was probably modified. But the RX-7 would have beat it if the race was 1/2 a mile or so.

Stuart

8. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

The RX-7. Its lighter and it hugs the ground much better. The turning is excellent. As for the 300ZX it is much heavier.

9. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

Way back in 1993, Road and Track Magazine did a story on "The Best Handling Cars in the World" About 10 cars were involved, including a 300Z and a 911 Turbo. The RX-7 was the fastest car around the track. I will dig up the issue if anyone needs to know specifically which issue that I'm referring to. Everything I've ever read in magazines concerning these two cars puts the RX-7 ahead in all performance categories. The 300Z has beaten the RX-7 in an "overall" comparison test though.

10. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

RX-7 for sure!<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

My stock 93 TT does the quarter mile in 14 seconds with me driving, a better driver could get a 13.7 in a stock TT. I believe that the RX-7 is faster than that. I am not really sure, but I think the RX-7 can go 0-60 in about 5 even, my TT won't do better than 5.3. The RX-7 is much lighter! But I wouldn't give up my TT for any RX-7, too many problems with those wankel engines.

12. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

*****300 ZX TT*****

13. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

The rx-7 is faster. It does 0-60 in 5 flat. The z does 0-60 in 5.2. The #s on the z listed are way off! The 1/4 mile on a z is 13.8 sec. I dont know about the rx, but a stock rx will take a stock z.

14. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

Dont listen to srrae! He has no idea what hes talkin about. Rev limiter will not come into play when the rx is 4 car lengths ahead of the z at 150. The rx is faster. The rx has .2 sec on the z in 0-60. Thats a whole lot! This is bullshit, "a tendency to kick its rear out under accelerating round a corner. Reasons given. They say it was TOO light at the rear". The RX HAS 50/50 WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION! It will out handle 90% of all stock cars. Many have not tried to make the wankel engine! Mazda has had the patent for it for like 20 yrs. And they have missused it up the ying yang. The rx-7 is a very unreliable car. The rotary engine is awesome, but mazda missused it. Overall the z is the car to go with. It is capable of monster horsepower and can be built beyond the rx-7's dreams. The 300zx and the Supra are almost Identical in all numbers! Weight(3z is lighter),0-60(z 5.2, supra 5.1),1/4mile,drag coeficient, lateral all that shit. A z will out handle a supra though.

15. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

16. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

a hooked up RX-7 looks better though..

17. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

A ZX with a racing body kit looks better though, more aerodynamic too. (like, uh the...yeah)

18. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

I would think the Rx-7 because the rotary has the advantage, even though it's only a 5-speed

19. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

This is the only mature column I've found to date.Thanks for being mature.

20. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

The rx-7 is much lighter and handles better. Its low end acceleration is slightly better, but at higher speeds the 300zx will out accelerate it due to the horsepower edge. I think they are both awesome cars in their own respect.

21. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

rx7= 255 hp, 2700 lbs, 4.9 sec to 60. 300zxTT= 300hp, 3500 lbs, upper 5's to 6 sec 0-60. plus the rx7 gets .98g on the skidpad. there's really no comparison in speed, they're different cars. the rx7 is a full-blown sports car, the z is a grand touring car.

22. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

I agree with the Z being a grand touring, but the high 5's low 6's is rubbish. All Z owners have said that the 0-60 on is is way off, and I agree and I own one and know by experience that its way off.
    0-60 is 5.2 for a 2 seater and 5.4-5.6 for a 2+2 depending on year.

But as said I do agree with them being different cars. I have seen inside a RX-7 and it looked crampt and the boot/trunk looked very small. The 300ZX you have plenty of room in the front, I think anyway, and the boot/trunk is large enough to fit a large suitcase and a golfbag with clubs. Infact one requirement for the Z at the design stage is that it had to have room for a golf bag on clubs. :D
    The 300ZX is designed for nice fast driving along country roads as you are going for a weekend away. The RX-7 to me says more serious sports car than the ZX.

Stuart

23. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

well said

24. Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

seconded

25. #25 Harada, Dec 19, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Which one is stock power faster; 300zx TT or RX-7

To answer you question go here http://server2036.virtualave.net/vevictis/images/cars/RX7vs3ZTT.jpg its an old car and driver article you will see that the 1/4 mile for the TTZ is the same as the RX7 and for further detail see my thread on title for "all the What if who cans and how do they" I post more articel links there that will answer many other questions or concerns