Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster the

Discussion in '2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG' started by CarTheif, Feb 23, 2003.

1. What's with that, it's gay, no matter how much power you put in them, the accelaration changes, but not the top speed. I've heard alot of things, like chips restricting the engine speed and ect, but what do you guys think is going on?

2. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

I sorta dont believe it. Why would mercedes do that? r they dumb? it aint a safty thing i hope cuz thats just stupid!

3. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

They put that in there because they don't want stupid people like you going faster than 155mph......what's the need to anyways...and race you have with most anything you'll be long gone when you reach 155mph. If you really want to ***** you could spend like 200$ and reprogram the cars computer...change the limiter....

4. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

its restricted you morons...audi, bmw, mercedes and maybe volksvagen they all restric their top speed to 250km/h... and if you really wanna go faster than 250 you can get the limiter off easily... the SL55 would reach 320km/h without it.

5. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

All germam car makers limit their cxars to 155/250. I know than the SL600 (new) can hit 155 limiter in 4th gear.

6. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

Mercedes limits their cars to 250km/h because their customers demand all-weather tires that do not run effectively over 250km/h. In other words, dont remove the limiter, your tires won't function.

7. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

You need to be put in a slapbox... Luxury car manufacturers have made a Gentleman's agreement to limit their cars to 250 km/h, and this "agreement" has been around for ages. And just in case you were wondering, fewer than 20% of Mercedes vehicles are equipped with All-Weather tires smart boy.

Don't know, don't talk.

8. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

They limit the top speed to 155mph (250kph) because it's the law in Germany. All German cars have to have top speed limited to 250kph from the factory. I believe Porsche is the exception. Can you imagine a Carrera GT limited to 250kph? That would be really absurd.

9. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

CarTheif(Tim) has your dad tried pulling his SL500 to 155mph!!! You should do it on Ellerslie Road!!! Note to other readers: We're classmates and CarTheif just got an SL500 in his garage!!!

10. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

who cares about top speed

11. Re: Why is it that all good mercedes productions can't go faster

Hey Guys,
    I will be getting the SL 55 AMG in a months time and I was wondering if anyone knew how to switch of the Traction Control as well as the Electronic Stability Programme. I have read in Autocar once that a guy traded his Ferrari 550 for an SL 55 AMG after reading the stats in Autocar. He found the UK car to be slower in the 0-60 times than the 1 recorded by Autocar. He later foud out that the Speed Limiter actually made that difference !!!!!!