why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

Discussion in '2000 Lotus Exige' started by tha topp dogg, Dec 5, 2002.

1. why dont lotus or a car tuner drop a lotus esprits 350 horse power engine into this beast? then you would have the best handling car in the world with very little weight and huge speed

2. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

it would increase the weight and therefore reduce the handling capabilities. also this car is damn fast anyway, you need more power really. it would defeat the object of the car, a lightweight race car.

3. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

And that's not to mention the fact that the Elise chassis (that is used for the Exige) is too small to accommodate the Esprit's V8.

4. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

eh...think about it, for just a second. Although i wouldn't mind seeing an engine similar to the s2000's in this. Much more than that would be pointless.

5. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

hey hey .. dun be lame. think about it, if u put a heavier engine like the espirit's one, not only would you cause disturbance to the car's almost perfect weight distribution. rite? secondly, you think the rubbers' of the car could handle such power.. accompanied by lightweight? it could, but u could have handling thats similar to that of a mod honda civic engine with no steering mods. sometimes. u guys just have to think be4 u speak.

6. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

look at the weight lotus would save money by using the same engine than changing to a more costly engine.its pretty quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

Sun Motorsports frequently drops Honda engines into lotus elise's and exige's alike. They put a K20A engine into an Exige and produced 260hp naturally aspirated, they only added about 20 pounds to the cars weight. Imagine this car with 260hp, they would have to change the speedometer to say 0-gone.

8. #8 AntiDomestic, Feb 6, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

Because the Esprit engine is too heavy,and it may be too big(not fit)
    for the ELise/Exige's engine bay.

But anyways why get an oversized Elise engine when you could get this

Check out the Link http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0205scc_coblot/

Elise vs Mustang Cobra R,guess who the Winner is?

9. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

oops ment to say,why get an oversized(for the elise)Esprit engine*

10. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

They could add a small turbo to this engine, I don't know how how one of the Turbo's from the Esprit weighs, but still, lets say with intercooler and all the pipes and hoses needed, you'd add what... around 50 lb? (correct me if I'm wrong, just a shot in the dark) and I don't think that would affect the car's performance that much, (in a bad way), That would probably take it to between 230 and 250 BHP depending on how much you want, but I think around there is quite sufficient. anyway, that would be a relatively easier way to bump this car up a class instead of changing the engine, agree? yes no, maybe so? tell me what u think

P.S. you want even better performance... get an anorexic driver,

11. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

They could add a small turbo to this engine, I don't know how much one of the Turbo's from the Esprit weighs, but still, lets say with intercooler and all the pipes and hoses needed, you'd add what... around 50 lb? (correct me if I'm wrong, just a shot in the dark) and I don't think that would affect the car's performance that much, (in a bad way), That would probably take it to between 230 and 250 BHP depending on how much you want, but I think around there is quite sufficient. anyway, that would be a relatively easier way to bump this car up a class instead of changing the engine, agree? yes no, maybe so? tell me what u think

P.S. you want even better performance... get an anorexic driver,

12. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

you can't use forced induction on the engines of the elise or exige because they aren't able to handle it......it would last for about 3000 mi. i was told but a gentleman who tried, and now soley drops the Integra Type-R engines in his exiges and tunes them to about 280hp without the use of a turbo or supercharger.

13. #13 CityStar, Mar 9, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

go here www.prototyperacing.com they drop in th engines oh integra GS-R's and tune em to around 280hp and they absolutely ROMP!

14. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

It would make the car too heavy and it would be uncontrolable. There is a Lotus tune-up kit to 225 hp. This will give a 0-60 of 4.2 sec.

15. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

That's right, and that is why we would turbo/supercharge the mother fuker!!!

16. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

Yea um although i think it would be nice if lotus could pull it off it aint gong to happpen the engine wouldent fit.

17. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

I think you actually could turbo the Exige's engine, the engine in it isn't that much different than the engine in a Toyota Celica GTS or a Pontiac Vibe GT. The compression ratio on the cars stock is way too high to turbo them. Believe me I've tried it in my Vibe GT... and even worse it was twin turboing, so basically I did 0-60 in 4.7 seconds as opposed to the 7.1 stock. But at the very end of the 1/4 mile the pistons had so much pressure on them from the compression and combustion they shot about 30 feet into the air through the top of my hood... But, the point is I learned my lesson. So it might be possible to get new headers for the Exige's engine that lower the compression ratio just low enough so that you can add a turbo. You might also want to look into an XS engineering turbo that was created for the Celica it only used about 7 pounds for the turbo but the horsepower goes up to around 250 (I attached the dyno) and its safe to use with the stock compression ratio.

18. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

the dyno didn't show up right but just click on it and it'll display properly

19. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

Just put a supercharger and boost about 12.5 psi, change the pistons to forge pistons and thicker gasket, reduce the compression ratio to 8.5-9.0 and a good ECU management. Then you will start kicking ass with around 245 - 270 HP and increadible torque.....expect 1/4 to be around 12s to high 11s, and about 15-20 km/h gain in top speed...pretty damn fast aye.

20. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

Turbo Technics in the UK offer a supercharger package for the Exige that bumps power up to 260hp and 203lbsft. This package (including fluids) adds just 18kg to the weight of the Exige. Pretty handy upgrade if you ask me.

21. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

The car is cool, but nobody has pointed out the obvious option for getting more power in this car. You would have to look at fitting the 3SGTE 2.0Litre turbo out of the Toyota MR2 which, with some work is comfortably cabable of pumping out over 400HP and if you're really serious it has been pushed right up to 700HP or more. Then you would have a car with nearly unrivalled performance. But if you want something for the race track, value for money would have to dictate a Saker, and fit whatever engine you want to it.

Light is vital, that's why motorbikes kick ass

22. Re: why not put the esprits 350 hp engine in there?????

a man i me at the CA auto show has a company called Prototype racing, he dropped in a Honda K20A ('02 integra type-r) motor in, just tuned pushing 250bhp, its doing 0-60 in about 3 seconds 0-100 in about 8.7. the car is really, REALLY fast. i think he has a site up calld, well prototyperacing.com. check it out, you'll be amazed, he also has a F20 (S2000) motor swap also