Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Discussion in '2001 HSV VX2 SV300' started by MaXXfunk, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

but having it at lower revs is, and the beema 3.5 V8 has its torque at lower revs than the chev

2. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

It might have its peak at lower revs. But did you consider the possibility that the chev could still be making more torque at the same revs that the Beema peaks at?

3. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

but if the beema was the same size as the Gen III, it would be making a lot more power and torque, at lower revs, even taking into account the law of diminishing returns

4. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

So whats your point?
    I may aswell say if the GEN III had everything the beemer had but with 5.7L it would kick its ass.

5. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

i believe it would be easier to stoke the bmw 5 litre engine out to 5.4 or so litres than add OHC, Double Vanos etc to the holden

6. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Point? You could stroke the LS1 and still make more power.

7. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

my point is it is quite easy to stroke the BMW, but it would be almost immposible to put OHC , Vanos etx on the chev. actually read your own earlier posts before posting such juvenile responses

and you could, once you have stoke the beemer, put a better exhaust, re map the ecu, bump the rev limiter etc and make a lot more power

8. #58 1 Evolution VIII, Jul 15, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Well just look at GT performance all these cars plus more are there like the GT falcon and mazda rx7 mitsubishi has a massive lead in the manufacturers title www.procar.com.au

9. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

remember GTP cars are, despite the production moniker, quite heavily modified

10. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Are they? I thought it was just stuff like brake pads and tyres being different to street cars.

11. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

i think they change the pistons and other various internals, as even with relatively low power a stock engine wont stand up long under race conditions, and they remap the ecu. they also do things like wind up the boost on turbos a bit, and change to performance clutches

12. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Oh okay. So its basically strengthening the basic package? It would still keep them similar though right? Like they wouldnt end up with car A being faster than B stock and then the other way round?

13. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

yeah you try hammering any stock road car for any extended period of time and they wont last as they are simply not designed for racetrack conditions beyond the occasional track day

14. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

try driving a Lancer EVO to its fullest and you'll be revving the S**t out of it, that is in no way good for the engine. This is also why F1 engines only last a few hundred km's.

15. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

(Back to the initial topic (my bad)). Yanks can't take any cred for this, nor can they complain. It is predominantly American parts. OZ just made a better car out of them by putting them in a Monaro body, IMO making a nicer car. If I was a Yank, I'd be thanking the Aussies for making one of the nicest GM cars out there.

16. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

The monaro and corvette are two different cars. the corvette is much more a sports car than the monaro, which is more of a GT.

The best LS1 engined car is easily the Mosler MT900

17. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

holden definately make some of the nicest gm cars, probabyl the best except the corvette. the only american parts are the engine and gearbox and the gearbox is considered by most to be the worst part of teh car so they cant take any credit for holden making such a nice car

18. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

some opels are alright. saabs are rubbish. fuji heavy industries (subaru's parent, also make things like helicopters) is 20% owned by GM too

19. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

opel arent that good except for the speedster thing. saab are rubish. same with pontiac (except gto) chevy except for corvette, and all the other american gm divisions.

20. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

I like the SAAB 9'3/5 Aero's, but the problems with SAABs are they are all turbo's and small engines, they look good and the quality is good. I don't think that GM should've bought SAAB, last year SAAB lost GM some 100's of million of $$$. Not a good investment if u ask me

21. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

i have nothing against the small turbo engines, why would you? they are torquey and powerful. The problem is they are all FWD and torque steer like buggery

22. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Agreed, i just think that SAAB should try and make a bigger N/A engine

23. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

whats wrong with the turbo motors?

24. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

nothing at all but most of saabs turbo engines run so little boost that they dont take full advantage of the turbo and still basically have a small, underpowered engine

25. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

except when they do wind the boost up in the aeros and viggens, they turn into torque steering, ill - handling monsters