Yet Again, America Takes The Cake

Discussion in '2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06' started by Cubes, Jan 10, 2006.

1. but he's said for 60k he would want a car with a much beter interior than the corvettes.

2. 1960s technology huh?.....this car is #$%#n similar to the C6R...that beat the DBR9 in many races...
    ...hey STIGGYY....get F.U.K.D

3. 1960s technology huh?.....this car is #$%#n similar to the C6R...that beat the DBR9 in many races...

4. 1960s technology huh?.....this car is #$%#n similar to the C6R...that beat the DBR9 in many races...

5. 1960s technology huh?.....this car is #$%#n similar to the C6R...that beat the DBR9 in many races...

6. Cmon get REAL... your ignorance has blinded you. These are all the cars that have been equally tested around a track by the same driver in the UK. And yes that Corvette is the 06 model, and as you can see there are alot of cars that can beat it, and i bets theres dozens more that havnt been tested, like the xj220, mclaren F1, 911 etc etc.

st Pagani Zonda F - 1.18.4

2nd Maserati MC12 - 1.18.9

3rd Ferrari F60 Enzo - 1.19.0

4th Ariel Atom - 1.19.5

5th Porsche Carerra GT - 1.19.8

Ascari KZ1 - 1.20.7

Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9

Ford GT - 1.21.9

Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3

Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3

Murcielago - 1.23.7

Zonda - 1.23.8

Koenigsegg - 1.23.9

Noble - 1.25.0

Gallardo - 1.25.8

Porsche Cayman - 1.26.2

Lotus Exige - 1.26.4

Chevrolet Corvette - 1.26.8

7. Looks like you need to get real, all of the cars with the exception of the Cayman are much more expencive than a C6. Now if the stig were sober when he drove the C6 Im sure times would be even better...

8. This thread is about the Z06, but since you brought up the regular C6, I'm impressed that it's only 1 sec behind the Gallardo, for about 30% of the price. BTW, why did you only show the cars that beat the C6? Why not show the cars that the C6 beat?

9. Because someone said about that the Enzo and the Carrera GT were the only cars that the Corvette couldnt beat, il list the rest if you want me to.

10. That was obveously a stupid comment then. And those are the cars that beat the C6 Z51 around that particular track.

11. Quote from PurdueErnie:

The new 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is another example, of how classic American ingenuity and engineering, comes out on top of foreign competition from both Europe and Asia.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you please define your meaning? What do you mean with "classic American ingenuity and engineering"? Big block pushrod V8's?

I know we stupid arrogant French commie German Euro-trash hippy democrats should stop whining about stupid abundances like interiour or style. And I know that you know there's no match to cubic inches. V8, tons of steel and cheap oil is all one needs. God bless America!!!!

P.S. Z06 is a great car. It has a breathtaking performance and a low price. The kind of automobile culture it represents just doesn't impress me the way certain old world classics do.

12. I don't care what country a car is made in.

BTW, it's a small block.

13. I know it's a small block V8. I just asked whether big block pushrod V8's were that " classic American ingenuity and engineering" of yours. You didn't answer that.

I'm sorry I'm a racist bastard with cultural prejudices but I have noticed that where a car is manufactured (or actually nowadays where the marque has its origins) is quite significant. It does matter to me whether a car is made in the USA, Germany, Italy or Pakistan.

Why could't you just have said Z06 was an extraordinarily fast #%!@ in its price category?

14. And if this "Classic American ingenuity and engineering" of yours is so superior why are GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler in trouble then? Why has the value of the Mercedes-Benz vanished due to quality problems since it was married to Chrysler and they began manufacture in the US? And if you don't care where a car is made in why don't you go and drive a chinese car? You'll notice the difference. Your statement about that American engineering would have been correct in the 1950's and early 60's.

I love these Z06 topics. They lure ignorant people like honey

15. I didn't say anything about classic American ingenuity.

At least you admit that you're biased.

I was just correcting your mistakes.

16. The cost of labor is very high in the US. Do you really think that the most technologically advanced country in the world is incapable of building great cars?

17. I sure admit being a european bich ass elitist.
    I just want to say that American car industry is in deep trouble.
    And maybe the cars aren't that good if people don't want to buy them.
    And the US-built Mercs suffering more of quality problems than their European counterparts, for example.

I didn't say the United States is incapable of building great cars, just look at the new SSC , or this Z06, they are great, indeed.

You only have a different way of building cars. If you think they're absolutely best in the world, please go on. I don't want to change your opinion. But it's a fact that the US car industry isn't going too well and I just wanted to point out my opinion and have some discussion about the topic.

But it seems that you are a blind and ignorant nationalist who can't stand any criticism so I'm wasting my time. So let's everyone simply agree that USA rules and Z06 is the best car ever made.

P.S. If you think that the United States is the "most technologically advanced country in the world", please visit Japan. Your comment reveals your way of thinking about yourself as superior to others. An average German or Japanese would never say that even if they their country was the most technologically advanced in the world.

18. I wouldn't consider Italy the most technologically advanced country in the world. Still, they're making great supercars aren't they? The acces to technology needed to build a great car is today available to Europe, US and Japan. The know-how to make one is more of a question of a small individual manufacturer. And the spirit too.

So, arguing about who's being high-tech is needless. And the greatness of certain cars has nothing to do with the general quality of everyday cars. Japan is making some reliable machines in their technologically advanced factories, but I can't name a really hot Japanese supercar.

Z06 is good but why do you go crazy praising the greatness of your nation even if it is?
    If a Porsche is great not all the Germans are bouncing everywhere on the forums putting topics like "Yet again, Germany takes the cake"..................................
    I like Lambos but not Mussolini, you know.

19. American cars suck because they have to find some way to compensate for the labor costs. This may eventually end the manufacturing of cars in the US.

I wasn't going crazy praising the greatness of the US.

20. "American cars suck because they have to find some way to compensate for the labor costs. This may eventually end the manufacturing of cars in the US.

I wasn't going crazy praising the greatness of the US."

Let's hope they're not going to do that...
    It seems there's been a mistake here... I've mixed you with the beginner of this topic, to whom all this shitload written by me was ment. Sorry...

21. no problem

22. You need to remember that evreything is relative. A faster, nimbler, more powerful car can be built that is faster than any othre car, including the Z06, but at what expense? All of the cars you listed with the exception of the Cayman and maybe the Exige (I honestly don't know) each of those cars are considerably more expensive that a corvette.

The one major criticism the Vette receives is it's poor quality interior. I think we've all learned to come to grips with that, and I think that GM is well aware that the interior is not up to Lamborghini-par, as they can easily give it a higher quality interior as evidenced by those found in Cadillacs (also a GM franchise).

Despite all the complaints I hear about the interior problems from people online, I think GM has purposely given it that kind of interior. If they thought they could boost Corvettes sales by a significant by giving it a better interior, they would. They've probably taken customer polls and surveys and learned that this isn;t the case, so they realized they could infact sell more of them by keeping the level of interior quality where it is at.

It would only serve to satisfy people who would never buy Corvettes in the first place such as the people complaining about it's interior here on websites like this.

23. Where to start...

You act as if we care that other people complain about things like interior quality, style, etc. But, if it was as big a deal to us as it was to you, then we would be right there besides you complaining up a storm. If you want to complain, complain away, I just don't get why you criticize other people for valuing different aspects of cars. Also, the value we place on style is subjective, and considering we are an entire ocean apart, it's udnerstandable that our ideas of style would vary.

"V8 and tons of steel" can be explained, and I want your clarification for 'cheap oil' (engine oil, crude oil, ???). Anyways, V8's are more of a tradition than anything else. They were all the rave in the golden years of muscle cars back in the 50's 60's and mid 70's.

Also, as far as the steel goes, America is a huge #$%#ing country and with all the long distance driving, Americans tend to abuse their cars. It's just more cost friendly if we make hunks of steel that can carry their weight than risk making a smaller car that will get trashed. That might also explain the interior thing mentioned earlier, who knows, I'm just throwing that idea out there.

24. Well you're just one big walking talking hippocrit aren't you?
    You say "Your comment reveals your way of thinking about yourself as superior to others." but earlier you said "I sure admit being a european bich ass elitist." Elitist.... superior.... relationship?

You're right the Germans don't think they are the greatest country or group of people on the planet. They never killed 7 million people who they felt were inferior to them. What was I thinking? I must have mistaken Germany for Candyland.

I'm not saying all Europeans are smug, but from my multiple trips to Europe and considering my numerous encounters with Europeans here in the states, I'd have to say 'smug' just about sums it up. Then again Americans who drive European cars also act as if their s**t doesn't stink so maybe I'm right and it's contagious.

25. "Americans tend to abuse their cars"
    I totally agree. I think Americans think of their cars more as disposable things more than Europeans do. I'm not a huge fan of Top Gear an Mr. Clarkson but he has some very good points about American cars. I love the American muscle cars of the 60- early 70's. They were simply great with their big V8's and outrageous designs. But then something went wrong.
    Normally if cars are good, they sell well. In the 60's American cars indeed sold very well, even in Europe. Because they were good!

Today, however, things are slightly different. Clarkson organized a simple off-road SUV test for an Escalade, Hummer and a Range Rover. You can watch that on YouTube.
    I mean, I can't name a single American car with off-road performance as good as Discovery's, for example. I can't name an American luxury saloon as good as an S-class. I can't name any modern American car designed even remotely as beautifully as some Lambos, Ferraris, Alfas, Paganis and such. There are few American cars that can compete with Porsches and Ferraris, etc. in terms of driveability, cornering and speed, Z06 being one of them.

"You act as if we care that other people complain about things like interior quality, style, etc. But, if it was as big a deal to us as it was to you, then we would be right there besides you complaining up a storm. If you want to complain, complain away, I just don't get why you criticize other people for valuing different aspects of cars."
    Well, I do value driveability, design, good build quality and a nice interior (that's where you are when you're inside a car and interior, I think, is a part of a driving experience). Those are things that among other things make car special. I don't see what aspects then do some Americans value in their cars? Every time I see a Ford Excursion, an Escalade or a Hummer, I want to vomit. Those are not good to drive, no good off-roaders, not fast, not of good quality, non-economical and particularly ugly. I just don't understand why would anyone buy one of those.
    Also, every time I see a Smart I want to vomit. It's ugly, too small, slow, veery bad to drive but I understand why people buy these. It's quite practical in the centre of Paris, for example with narrow streets, lots of traffic and parking being a nightmare.

This topic was originally something about American engineering being superior to anything else in the world. In some parts I agree. You've built space shuttles, skyscrapers and Nimitz #$%#ing class carriers! But modern American cars.......................
    Why? Why can't you build stuff as good as you did in 60- 70's?

Long live the V8. Indeed. The American V8 is propably the longest living engine tradition in automotive history. Z06 is a very good car. But this is why I think some cars are more advanced: It's not very difficult to get 500 bhp from 7 litres of displacement. Any Euro manufacturer could easily do that. But getting 480 bhp from 4.3 litres in a naturally aspirating engine? GM of Ford couldn't make an engine with as good characteristics as Ferrari engines, BMW M5 V10, Lamborghini V12, Porsche flat 6, Veyron's W16... nor as economical diesel engines with huge torque and smooth running like BMW 335d engine. Name one American car that can do such great MPG with 580! nm of torque and nearly 300 bhp. And it's a large saloon. And it's not only the engines, it's also chassis, steering, comfort, luxury, style, quality, etc. And in Europe there are lots of different manufacturers in different countries that have different ways of producing good cars. Why is everyone comparing everything European to Z06? Because there are few other cars that compare to Euro trash.

"You're right the Germans don't think they are the greatest country or group of people on the planet. They never killed 7 million people who they felt were inferior to them. What was I thinking? I must have mistaken Germany for Candyland."
    The jerries killed more than that. This is not about who killed someone and who's superior. It's about cars and how good they are. And by the way, Germany has changed a bit after WW2. Berlin is full of gays.
    "I'm not saying all Europeans are smug, but from my multiple trips to Europe and considering my numerous encounters with Europeans here in the states, I'd have to say 'smug' just about sums it up. Then again Americans who drive European cars also act as if their s**t doesn't stink so maybe I'm right and it's contagious."
    The Polish are the smuggest people on earth. You have had encounters with disguised Polish infiltrators. Strange. Well, every single American I've met has been a great person. I think they're very relaxed, nice and polite. Maybe your theory is right then. People driving good cars become smug and people driving not-that-good cars are nicer. It is contagious! That's why I don't have a car. I use public transport. Saves energy.