You US-guys are strange ;-)

Discussion in '1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird 440' started by bsc, Aug 10, 2002.

1. this car is looking soooo ugly but nevertheless fascinating *g*

2. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

I liked the Charger Daytona better than the Superbird. This car did dominte NASCAR in it's time though.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bsc</i>
    <b>this car is looking soooo ugly but nevertheless fascinating *g*</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You do see the model year of this car don't you? <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

sure I can see the year of construction, but still today there are many fans of these cars in US, aren't they? <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

I'm European, but I like this car very much, infact, this is one of my favourite muscle-cars.

6. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

I once heard from a friend who went to Japan that it seemed that they were trying to imitate American pop culture but that it got slightly skewed crossing the ocean. MAybe this car is the reason there are so many imports with huge spoilers.

7. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

Ha!!! Good one. Their's are attached to the trunk... they forgot that this one was to CLEAR the trunk.

8. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

HA HA HA that's an intresting theory to look into, nonetheless funny!

9. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

Yeah, but this spoiler served a purpose.

10. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

hehe :)

yep

11. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

ugly? no..aerodynamic and one of the most powerful musclecars ever? yes!! only 135 of these machines were equipped with the fire-breathing 426 dual 4 bbl Street Hemi (77 came with automatic trans while 58 came with the 4 speed trans) while 716 of them carried the 390HP 440 V8 and the most popular engine option was the 440 Super Commando V8 with a single 4 barrel carb, which was rated at a modest 375HP...and 1120 Superbirds came with that option...I can just imagine how much these awesome machines would be worth nowadays...so yes these were very fascinating cars, even if they were around for only a year...

if I had a choice between the 1970 Dodge Charger Daytona, and the 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner Superbird...I dunno which one I would take lol..

12. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

In that time (1960's-late1970's) americans made muscle-cars which were made with no purpose.

13. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

umm ok retard.. they were made to kick ass, in which they did one hell of a job. The japs cant compare.

14. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

No purpose huh!?

I tell you one thing about the 60's Detroit finest cars that even the manufacters didn't know back then and that is that these cars are still, 30 years later, kickin ass in the streets.

15. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

all these people bashing this great car are just ignorant people who dont know what real power is. they think that that a supra or a civic or some crap like that is hi pref. i have a 75 dart and my friend has a 2000 prelude witha v-tec and some mods and my car will not just beat his but it will destry itin a race. if u want real performance buy an old mopar with a hemi, hit the gas and hold on.

16. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

...Yes, and the old GM 454 could haul ass too.....

17. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

Ever heard of a little thing called downforce?

18. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

not trying to start an argument, but could it turn right?

19. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

These cars weren't made to go around corners. Ever seen a musclecar corner? So much understeer and oversteer produced by body roll.
    In the late 60's and early 70's almost all the American car manufacturers made high performance versions of their cars. These cars were made for the 1/4 mile.

Why bother trying to get round a corner. You won't. But America doesn't have corners. All the roads are straight.

I feel strangely attracted to this car and almost all 60's and 70's American muscle cars. This is one of my favourites.

Does anyone have a spare Superbird?

20. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

I think he was wondering if this car could turn right because it was developped for NASCAR-purpose and though, turned left for most of his life.

This car wasn't designed for drag-racing. In fact, all the excess weight from the aero upgrades slowed it down in quarter-mile runs.

21. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

i saw one up for auction, red, got low 6 figures usd

22. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

Theres more than I can count and I'm among them.

23. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

it couldnt corner on the track, it wasnt meant for 1/4..this is what you guy are telling me. what the hell is it for then? i would gut this car and keep the engine on my coffee table as a centre piece.

24. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

This thing was meant for Nascar and goind 200+mph on the oval. The production ones were just so it could enter Nascar and they were meant for looks, sound, and if you wanted 1/4 mile.

25. Re: You US-guys are strange ;-)

The spoiler did not serve it's purpose until 90mph. Which wouldn't make a differnce on highway handling in the US were the speed limit is drastically less than that. Why would you add weight with the 24inch high back ornament, which looks like a home made job.

When i saw this car in the Movie "Joe Dirt" (I still kick myself about this), i thought it was a home made spoiler by some midwest yokel in a trailer.