Lancia gave its chief designer, Vittorio Jano, a clean sheet of paper when it replaced the Aprilia which had been the company’s mainstay since 1937. Jano, the man responsible for most pre-war Alfa Romeos, worked with a brilliant young engineer named Francesco de Virgilio. The result of their partnership, the Aurelia, was one of those rare cars which owed nothing to its predecessor.
When the Aurelia was unveiled it was, by common consent, the most superbly engineered saloon car there had ever been. A short wheelbase version, the B20, was third in the 1951 Mille Miglia and another was second in the 1952 event, splitting two Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘gullwing’ coupes. Later that year, the Aurelia finished 1-2-3 in the Targa Florio, a remarkable achievement for a production saloon car.
With such a record in racing, the Aurelia cried out to have an open sports version in the catalogue and, in 1955, Lancia duly obliged. Pinin Farina styled a sleek two-seater, baptised ‘Spyder America’ in deference to its main target market, which was a triumph of simplicity and elegance characterised by its distinctive panoramic windscreen and stylish quarter bumpers. Since the Aurelia had unitary construction, Pinin Farina made the entire body/ chassis unit which was one of the first jobs awarded to their new manufacturing plant.
The Aurelia underwent constant development and there were six distinct series. From the fourth series on, a de Dion rear axle replaced the original trailing arms. All B24 Spyders had the de Dion layout and the 2541cc version of the engine which was tuned to give 118 bhp. Top speed was estimated to be 115 mph (184 kph), but more important was its superb handling and road holding which made it unbeatable on country roads.
A mere 240 examples of the two-seat Aurelia B24 Spyder America were made (in both left and right-hand drive forms) as production was limited by the capacity of the Pinin Farina factory – and fewer still exist today. The combination of rarity, engineering excellence and Pinin Farina’s gorgeous body makes this superb car a blue chip investment.
Bonham’s Sale of #1004This example was tracked down by Silvano Cima in America 20 years ago and imported to Italy, where it underwent a total, no expense spared restoration by KCA of Milan. Strikingly finished in its original metallic green with natural leather upholstery, its appearance enhanced by polished Borrani wire wheels, the car also boasts the high performance Nardi kit. Italian registered and ASI homologated, this is probably the finest Spyder America we have offered to date.
At their Les Grandes Marques a Monaco in 2005, Bonhams sold #1156. The top bid was 210 000 EU ($264 000 USD).
1955 Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America B24S-1138 – sold for $1,952,500 Exquisite, 100pt restoration by Lancia expert Tony Nicosia. Exciting period racing history with Lou Brero behind the wheel. Delivered new through Kjell Qvale’s legendary dealership. Matching numbers Spider America that has remained in the dry-western climate since new. Ready for top events such as Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance or Mille Miglia Storica. Auction Source: 2015 Quail Lodge Auction by Bonhams
The Most Desirable Road-Going Lancia Sports Car. One of Only 181 Left-Hand-Drive Spider Americas Built. Retained by One Owner for Over 40 Years. A Documented 40,000-Mile Example. Restored with Exemplary Attention to Authenticity and Detail. Presented in Classic Original Color Scheme. Never Before Displayed or Judged at Concours d’Elegance. Eligible for the Finest Historic Events Including the Mille Miglia. Sure to Impress the Most Discerning Collector.
1955 Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America B24S1077 – sold for $1,815,000 The Most Desirable Road-Going Lancia Sports Car. One of Only 181 Left-Hand-Drive Spider Americas Built. Known Ownership History from New. Desirably Equipped with Fontana Hardtop and Nardi Kit. Recent Paintwork and Cosmetic Attention by CB Restorations. Spectacular Dark Blue over Red Color Scheme. Eligible for the Finest Historic Events Including the Mille Miglia. Offered with FIVA Passport, Tools, Owners Manual, and Documentation. Auction Source: The Scottsdale Auctions by Gooding & Company
The car offered here at Villa Erba is one of the few equipped with a glove box door, as found with U.S.-delivery cars, and it is also fitted with metric Italian gauges. At one point, it was owned by the late Gary Lee Byrd, a legendary figure among American Lancia enthusiasts, noted for his passion for the marque and for owning and restoring, at one point or another, virtually every model the factory ever produced. He was once described as “the most knowledgeable Lancisti on the West Coast”, respected for his knowledge and the quality of the automobiles he owned.
1955 Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider America – sold for €425,600 The Aurelia B24 Spider America has become one of the most sought after and valuable post-war Lancias and the reasons why are not difficult to see. They are beautiful, rare, a delight on the road and a more than welcome entrant to all driving as well as concours events around the world. The chance to join the privileged set of owners who own these remarkable cars is a very special opportunity indeed. Auction Source: Monaco 2012 by RM Auctions
Registered for the first time on 27 August 1958, this Lancia Aurelia Convertible changed hands in 1973, bought by a certain Vincenzo Giuliani from Saint-Brice-la-Forêt. Jean-Claude Bajol acquired the car from him during the 1980s, making him the third owner. The car was restored some time ago at the Chanabet workshop in Toulouse, and is presented in midnight blue with a black hardtop. The red leather interior displays a lovely patina, and the rubber mats have been preserved. The car is complete with tool kit and original jack. The engine compartment appears to be in working order. The engine runs very well and is ready to be driven with the perfume of the original leather. The odometer reads 48,218 km and is thought to be correct. Particularly rare, with good provenance and just three owners, this car offers a great opportunity for a demanding collector.
The current owner acquired the car in England and imported it to Costa Rica, where a complete restoration was undertaken. While the body was found to remain in very good condition, a 4,000-hour, concours-quality restoration was recently completed in preparation for its sale at Monterey, preceded by the car’s display at the nearby Quail Lodge. As restored, the Spyder is now handsomely finished in black with a Burnt Orange/Pumpkin leather interior
The Spyder offered here is one of 240 B24 Spyder Americas built. In fact, it is one of only 59 right-hand drive examples, of which only 30 to 35 examples are still known to exist. Factory records indicate that 1045 was produced between May and June 1955 finished in grey with red leather interior. The current owner purchased the vehicle in 2007 from Belgium at which point 1045 was inspected by Anthony Hussey of the Lancia Motor Club who confirmed it to be, “genuine and in good condition”. Hussey also noted that the engine number was correct to the chassis. Today 1045 is presented in restored condition and nicely finished in Lancia red with tan lea