1966→1970 Maserati Mistral
Simply labelled “2 Posti” (or even “Berlina 2 Posti” as Road & Track still stated in 1964), it took the Mistral name following the suggestion of the French Maserati importer Colonel John Simone. Mistral is the name of a French wind blowing from the Mediterranean coast, and from this point onwards Maserati two-seater sports cars would be named after winds. 2+2 coupés would take the names of race tracks, the Sebring started this trend earlier that year.
The 1964 Maserati range was the most comprehensive yet, with the Mistral and Quattroporte joining the Sebring, 3500 GT and 3500 GT Spyder. The Mistral’s styling was an enormous success courtesy of Pietro Frua of Turin. The car was exceptionally innovative, with its air intake mounted underneath the front bumper, thus abandoning the traditional grille. Its high tail featured another interesting first: the tailgate. Large windows made the cabin very airy. Bodies were manufactured by Maggiora in Turin and finished at Officine Padane in Modena. The majority of Mistrals were constructed in alloy, but from 1967 thy were replaced with a steel construction, with just the bonnet and doors remaining in alloy. The chassis – made of square-section tubes – was new, with a wheelbase of just 2.4 metres, 10 cm shorter than the Sebring and the Vignale Spyder.
The engine was increased to 3.7 litres, the same unit that would later be fitted to the Sebring, whilst the Mistral Spyder would initially be fitted with the 3.5 version, deemed sufficient for drop-top motoring. According to the original brochure, “twin ignition and indirect fuel injection offered exceptional power, smoothness and economy”. All Mistrals were fitted with disc brakes, whilst air conditioning, the 3-speed automatic transmission and a radio were optional.
|submitted by||Richard Owen|
|type||Series Production Car|
|production years||1966 – 1970|
|body stylist||Giovanni Michelotti|
|valvetrain||DOHC, 2 Valves per Cyl|
|fuel feed||Lucas Indirect Fuel Injection|
|displacement||4014 cc / 244.95 in³|
|bore||88 mm / 3.5 in|
|stroke||110 mm / 4.3 in|
|power||197.6 kw / 265 bhp @ 5200 rpm|
|specific output||66.02 bhp per litre|
|bhp/weight||185.31 bhp per tonne|
|body / frame||‘frame platform chassis’|
|wheel type||Wire Wheels|
|front tires||205 VR x 15 Cinturato HS Pirelli|
|rear tires||205 VR x 15 Cinturato HS Pirelli|
|steering||Worm & Sector|
|f suspension||Double Wishbones w/Coil Springs, Telescopic Dampers, Anti-Roll Bar|
|r suspension||Live Axle w/Leaf Springs, Telescopic Dampers, Anti-Roll Bar|
|curb weight||1430 kg / 3152 lbs|
|wheelbase||2400 mm / 94.5 in|
|front track||1390 mm / 54.7 in|
|rear track||1360 mm / 53.5 in|
|length||4500 mm / 177.2 in|
|width||1675 mm / 65.9 in|
|height||1300 mm / 51.2 in|
|gear ratios||3.00:1, 1.705:1, 1.24:1, 1.00:1, 0.85:1|
|top speed||~249.40 kph / 155 mph|
|0 – 60 mph||~6.2 seconds|
|fuel capacity||70 litres or 18.48 gal.|
Auction Sales History
1967 Maserati Mistral 4000 Coupe AM109A1.1146 – sold for $143,000 Charming Mistral in largely original ‘Barn-find’ condition. Desirable 4-Liter, 5-speed manual configuration *Matching numbers example. In same family ownership for more than three decades. Elegant and powerful Frua-bodied Maserati.
Auction Source: 2015 Quail Lodge Auction by Bonhams
1965 Maserati Mistral 3.7L AM109608 – sold for €181,184 This Maserati Mistral was sold new in Italy to Sig. Albino Buticchi, of La Spezia, the President of the Football Club of Milan. Factory records state that the car was delivered in ‘Argento Auteuil’ (metallic grey), with blue leather upholstery, a radio and a luggage cover. This car, chassis number 608, then moved to France in 2006. In 2007 it became part of the collection of Jean-Pierre Slavic, near Geneva, known for his good taste in fine automobiles. He restored the car in Italy by the best specialists. Sold at auction in 2009 to the previous owner and some time later to the current one, the Mistral is today in good condition. One can note the quality of the restoration work in 2007, as the car’s paint, interior and mechanicals remain at a very high level of quality. Its interior is in beige leather, the carpets are in the same colour. Maintenance work was carried out by Toni Sisinni, specialist of Italian cars from this period.
Auction Source: Rétromobile 2015 by Artcurial Motorcars
1969 Maserati Mistral 4.0 Coupé 1742 – sold for €173,600 Matching-numbers engine and chassis. Beautifully preserved and ready for touring. The final iteration of the inline six-cylinder Maserati.
Auction Source: 2015 Paris by RM Auctions
1966 Maserati Mistral 4.0 Coupe AM109A1840 – sold for $120,000 Bought in Long Island, New York in 2006. Restoration by Mario Sueiras. Changed fuel injection to Weber carburetors. All parts purchased to MIE Corp in Auburn WA. Genuine Parts. Rebuilt engine parts. Driven fewer than 200 miles after restoration. Stored in dry garage. 11% buyers premium on this automobile, Import duties have been paid.
Auction Source: Monterey 2014 by Mecum Auctions
1968 Maserati Mistral 4000 – sold for €50,037 The owner of the Mistral that we offer has had this car since 1987. It was acquired from a lady living in Marseille, who had bought the car from a friend who had owned the car since 1976. This one is the more desirable 4.0-litre version. The car has undergone regular maintenance and restoration, including the overhauling of the Lucas injection system (pump and injectors), the installation of a stainless steel exhaust (invoice included), thethe overhauling of the braking assistance and system, and a set of other upgrades. A set of invoices is included with the car. The exterior is a good looking blue and the light blue leather interior with fine patina, along with the dark blue carpet, offers an inviting interior to board. It is equipped with air-conditioning. A ‘thank you’ note that the registration document, as a result of a typographical error, reads N109A11584 instead of AM109A11584 and that is easily modifiable. With its well documented history given the limited number of owners the car has had and the state reflecting very careful use, this car is a very good representative of this great classic from of Maserati, the last in-line six from the marque, with a most elegant body and a production run limited to just 828 copies in coupe form.
Auction Source: 2012 Artcurial Motorcars à Rétromobile
1967 Maserati Mistral Coupé – sold for €71,456 This particular Mistral left the factory in July 1967, delivered to its first owner Dr. A. Balbo of Florence. It was then exported to the United States in 1969 into the ownership of Mr. M. Stelhorn of Bishop, California, who retained it until 1997—nearly three decades of ownership. He sold the car that year to another American collector, a Mr. Shacklette of Baltimore, Maryland. Whilst in Baltimore, the Mistral received a through re-commissioning and service by the noted specialists at Treasured Motorcars. Mr. Shacklette then used his refurbished Mistral extensively, including an appearance at the 2007 “Le Bella Macchine d’Italia,” which included an 800-mile tour around Italy. Its current owner acquired the Mistral in 2008, and several upgrades were made to enhance reliability. The car was also cosmetically refreshed with new Ivory paint and a re-trim in black, its factory-original colour scheme. This is an outstanding example of the later four-litre, fuel-injected Mistral.
Auction Source: 2011 London Auction by RM