2006 Quail Motorsports Gathering
The Quail 2006 was held on August 18 and brought together the best and brightest examples of classic and contemporary automobiles.
The highlight of the day-long luxury lifestyle celebration was the Rolex Circle of Champions Awards Ceremony at which the 1956 Jaguar XK-SS took the coveted “Best Of Show” prize.
The fourth annual Quail event featured 134 of the world’s rarest automobiles, a selection of award-winning wines and delectable cuisine showcased in a garden-party setting.
Sold out to 3,000 enthusiasts, The Quail paid tribute to the 100th anniversary of the Targa Florio, one of the world’s oldest open-road races and commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Laguna Seca Raceway. Italian car designer Zagato, best known for its extensive work with Ferrari, Aston Martin and Lamborghini was also honored.
The Quail judging formula for the Rolex Circle of Champions Awards is entirely unique. The entrants themselves are called upon to subjectively choose which vehicle has achieved its design goal, performance expectations and overall impact on the automotive history and soul. Each winner from the 12 categories is recognized by The Quail.
Complimenting the cars was a lavish array of fine food, Louis Roederer Champagne pourings, hand-rolled cigars, and complimentary neck and shoulder massages. Other luxury elements included helicopter shuttle rides to the Laguna Seca Raceway, test-driving Bentley’s Continental GT and Flying Spur, or heading off-road at the Land Rover Driving School Experience. The Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR was also showcased and the fourth annual Historics Run to The Quail, featuring 25 sport-racing cars from 1947-1955, was a highlight not to be missed.
“The Quail 2006 brought together some of the world’s most exciting automobiles and luxury brands to kick-off Monterey’s Classic Car Weekend,”
The Rolex Circle of Champions Awards are given in 12 categories. The award winners include:
- Best of Show: 1956 Jaguar XK-SS
- A Tribute to Zagato: 1956 Ferrari 250 GT Zagato
- Targa Folrio 100th Anniversary: 1954 Lancia D24
- Laguna Seca 50th Anniversary: 1966 Porsche 906 E
- Eye for Style 1936 Delahaye 135: Competition
- Road & Track’s Editor’s Choice Award: 1934 Triumph Dolomite 8C-2400
- Super Cars: 1970 Lamborghini Miura S
- The Great Ferraris: 1948 Ferrari 166 Barchetta
- Sports & Racing Motorcycles: 1959 Ducati 200 Super Sport
- Pre War Sports: 1937 Talbot Lago T150 GSS
- Post War Racing: 1957 Maserati 300S Fantuzzi
- Post War Sports: 1956 Jaguar XK-SS