Re: gto vs. 2003 mustang cobra

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. BigDaddy35, I don't know where the hell you got your ridiculous claim from that the HSV engine used in GTS Coupe (which I presume you are talking about) produces 450-500 bhp.....

The engine produces 390 bhp, exactly the same as the 03' Mustang.
    The only thing that HSV ever developped that was just above 450 bhp was the HRT Edition Maloo, which used a 6.2L V8 and had 350kw (455 bhp).

2. #27 chevybeast, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BigDaddy35</i>
    <b>Of course there is proof, but don't take my word for it. Go down to your own local magazine store and find it for yourself. The article is advertized on the front cover in big bold English,.....but wait, Americans muder the English language everyday, so maybe you do need me to spell it out for you. hahahaha
    It's most likely 'Mustangs and Fast Fords',...but like I say, use whatever physical and sensual perceptions you possess and find it yourself.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Are you making fun of Americans now?

Well I suppose you meant MUSCLE Mustangs and Fast Fords. Well here is there only review of the 2003 Cobra.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/archives/features/0702_features01.shtml

Notice there 12.60@110 quarter into headwind. About 9/10ths behind is the SS and WS6.

The only time they mention the camaro is "it'll blow the doors off a Boss 429, out-handle a Cobra R and scare the stripes off a 35th anniversary SS Camaro."

and

"No Camaro can top that in factory trim."

What were you saying?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> Dont get so cocky my little blue oval lover. Ford seems to be very fond of superchargers. Guess what, so does pontiac. Without one, your 4.6 dishs out no more than 260 if i am not mistaken. Unblown, this 5.7 dishes out 350. Add a supercharger to the Ls1 and what do you get. You get left behind. Im just contimplating the "if's" here. Like "if" pontiac did add a supercharger to this car, you wouldent have much to talk about besides how much you lost by. If your thinking that as it is the new GTO will best a cobra at the current time the answer is no. But if the infromation we have now is for the base coup only, you ford boyz have a lot to worry about. You cant stay on top forever. Every GM dogg, will have his day in 2004. See ya on the track. <!-- Signature -->

3. I reckon the Mustang would win but if your talking about the HSV's the GTS makes 300kw does a 1/4 in 13.9 secs at 168 km/h a 0-100km/h in 5.8 secs bear in mind most of this was in wheel spin (with traction control) this was done by wheels magazine in Australia. The GTS is an awsome muscle car probally the best that Australia has to offer at the moment. I think this would beat a mustang, but thats my opinion.

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 68 stang</i>
    <b>..umm no doubt the mustang would win..
    it has more power..
    better suspension(even thought the new gto wil be a big improvement on the old firebirds')
    and it does weight less..
    the GTO is not a small car..
    it is pretty big for somethign sporty of today..
    but thats f'n cool..
    like the return of the musclecar for real!

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Horse power isn't everything you know. Torque is what will make it go fast.<!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 68 stang</i>
    it has more power..
    better suspension(even thought the new gto wil be a big improvement on the old firebirds')
    but thats f'n cool..

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Horse power isn't everything you know. Torque is what will make it go fast.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Stock Cobra.<!-- Signature -->

6. Chevybeast, I was talking to bigdaddy who is absolutely wrong. Now you call me cocky. I call it true. You on the other hand are pretty cocky about future GM cars that are going to displace the Cobra in just 2004. If you want to complain do it to other GM boys. Right now the mustang is on top and I don’t give a sh!t how it got there. Supercharger or not.<!-- Signature -->

7. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Camaro</i>
    <b>"Our gto will reduce your mustang cobra to some where between a garden snake and an earthworm"-head of pontiac. "Why the hell would I buy a gt40 when I could buy a corvette"-president of Ford </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

From your signature. Too bad it's all wrong. It was John Coletti, not Bill Ford, who said that about the DODGE VIPER, not his own fvcking cobra talking about the GT40. And if the Pontiac president feels like buying a corvette over a GT40 he'd probably also buy a sunfire over the Cobra, the dumbass.<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 68 stang</i>
    it has more power..
    but thats f'n cool..

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Horse power isn't everything you know. Torque is what will make it go fast.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->The Cobra makes 370 torque at the WHEELS from 2.5k to redline, STOCK.<!-- Signature -->

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Camaro</i>
    <b>"Our gto will reduce your mustang cobra to some where between a garden snake and an earthworm"-head of pontiac. "Why the hell would I buy a gt40 when I could buy a corvette"-president of Ford </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

From your signature. Too bad it's all wrong. It was John Coletti, not Bill Ford, who said that about the DODGE VIPER, not his own fvcking cobra talking about the GT40. And if the Pontiac president feels like buying a corvette over a GT40 he'd probably also buy a sunfire over the Cobra, the dumbass.<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    it has more power..
    but thats f'n cool..

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Horse power isn't everything you know. Torque is what will make it go fast.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->The Cobra makes 370 torque at the WHEELS from 2.5k to redline, STOCK.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Dude I know all of that about my sig I was just trying to make a joke out of it. The gto makes 370 tourqe to if I'm correct.<!-- Signature -->

9. This is primarily for Hoseman and GTHO list members:

First let me help you out with my references, the 'Ponycar Death Match' I refered to is in the August 2002 edition of 'Mustangs and Fast Fords' magazine. Like I said earlier, the match was between the 2003 Cobra and the 35th Anniversary SS Camaro.

The article does give some well earned praise to the Cobra for excellent handling when pushed around the track, the Camaro displayed a little more body roll, but as they stated, it still got round the track nearly as fast as the Cobra!

The final paragraph of this article states (and I quote):

"What surprsied us was how close their lap times were, despite the mechanical differences. The lap times were nearly identical and Smith circuited the track repeatedly, showing no mercy. Ultimately, the Mustang had the fastest time of the day, a 1:26.25 around the 1.35 mile course, with the SS clocking in at 1:26.57. The fact that the Bowtie was giving up 60 rear wheel horsepower means three-tenths is nothing". (end quote)

For my next issue, as an executive manager who has travelled the World, managed and been responsible for car fleets and the perks that come with that (manufacturer days out in non-production ralley works cars, loans of high-performance vehicles etc., etc.), I know that when I talk about 'imports' arriving into the UK in the form of the Holden HS-V, that they often arrive with more BHP than factory standard. Another well known illustation of this is the Nissan Skyline GT-R. So before you critize comments made on this site by mea or any other member, think before you run your mouth (or fingers in this instance)!

I know at leat one major importer in Milton Keynes, England that imports HS-V's Skyline GT-R's, Evo's, and they are all way beyond factory performance figures.

Let me just conclude by saying that I am not a 'Reverand Chevy man, neither a Boss Ford man, in my mind, any chance of a great muscle car from any manufacturer is good news in these times of economic uncertainty and emmissions restrictions. Praise Ford for the 2003 Cobra, Mach 1 and Boss replica's, praise Dodge for the Viper, praise Chevy for the Corvette, and lets hope we can continue to praise GM for future generations of rear wheel drive V8's!

Afterall, dosn't the steps each manufacturer takes in these race wars keep the whole dream and culture alive for us?!

10. From the review i read the version of the GTO that we will get here in the states is not going to be anywhere near the level of the 2003 Cobra or the Camaro SS. <!-- Signature -->

11. There seems to be lots of so called 'reviews' going round, but how can one review a car that has not yet been introduced to the American public???

All we are doing is speculating on what we 'think' the new GTO will be like based upon what we know of the CV-8 (Holden 2 + 2).

In the September 2002 edition of 'High Performance Pontiac', nine GM experts have been consulted on what think think about the new GTO possibility.

I think it's safe to say that most are excited that they are around to see how the new era of the GTO will develop, and that they hope it will be more in line with the super strong engine theory of the 60's cars, that made them a 'muscle icon'.

I will agree that the Holden vehicle is a bit too safe and sedate not only for my taste but also for the American market in it's current form. So lets all pray that Bob Lutz really pulls out all the stops on this project to make the GTO and stand-alone vehicle rather than a re-badged Holden.

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Camaro</i>

it has more power..
    but thats f'n cool..

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Horse power isn't everything you know. Torque is what will make it go fast.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->The Cobra makes 370 torque at the WHEELS from 2.5k to redline, STOCK.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Dude I know all of that about my sig I was just trying to make a joke out of it. The gto makes 370 tourqe to if I'm correct.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Was caps not enough for you to read. Here again:

370 AT THE WHEELS, from 2.5k to redline. That is 425 at the flywheel across the ENTIRE RPMs, compared to 375 at the fly at its PEAK for the GTO.<!-- Signature -->

13. i'm not saying there is no hope, but if they dont make some radical improvements this is a very weak attempt.<!-- Signature -->

14. Ok, Im Giving It To The GTO. Were Not Talking About The SVT Cobra Here, Just The Flat Out Cobra. Its Abvious That The GTO Would Win. More Torque And More HP Gives The GTO A Distinct Advantage. And Even If It Was A Race With The SVT Cobra I Still Think It Would Be Somewhat Close Because Of How Much The Stang Sucks. For Go Sakes it Uses A Freaking Supercharger To Make 390 HP When The LS1 V-8 Can Make Anywhere From 302HP To 405HP With The LS-6 Variant. Fae It Ford Freaks, You Thought You Finially Got The Top Back But The GTO/Impalla SS Is Gone Re-Cliam The Top Spot. You Need To Get Off Your High Horse (Pun Intended) And Get It Through You Thick Heads That Your Pussy Ass OHC V-8s Are No Match For The Pushrod GM LS1 V-8. Bring Back The 5.0L V-8 FromA Few Years Back And Maybe There Would Be Some Competition Between The Mustang And The GTO, PERIOD.

15. I do have some fears on this project GTO. The Holden HS-V GTS puts out 405 bhp stock, that's great, but I am hoping that the US edition will make at least this, if not more.
    But here's my fear. When the 35th Anniversary Trans Am and Camaro were announced, a lot of people hoped GM would put in the LS-6 engine, but it never happened because they did not want to tread on the toes of the Corvette clan!
    The Corvetter 'fraternity' can be pretty snobby at times, and this is classic example of how GM wanted to keep the Corvette in a class of it's own.
    I just hope the GTO does not get anything less than the 405 bhp GTS based upon what Corvette people think.
    Afterall, I for one adhere to the whole set up of the GTO image, a performance car with a V8, rear-wheel drive and 4 seats.
    The GTO might never be a race winner in the manufacturer wars, but I for one want the GTO set up.

16. Re: gto vs. 2003 mustang mach 1

why are you people comparing this GTO to cobra? the cobra would oviously beat a GTO, as for the camaro thats gone. this car should be compared to a mach 1.<!-- Signature -->

17. THIS CAR IS NOT COMPARABLE IN ANY WAY TO THE COBRA. IF YOU THINK IT IS YOU NEED TO GET A CLUE. STOP TALKING ABOUT TOPICS WHEN IT IS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM.

this post is directed to anyone who fits in this catagory(you know who you are).<!-- Signature -->

18. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>THIS CAR IS NOT COMPARABLE IN ANY WAY TO THE COBRA. IF YOU THINK IT IS YOU NEED TO GET A CLUE. STOP TALKING ABOUT TOPICS WHEN IT IS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM.

this post is directed to anyone who fits in this catagory(you know who you are).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes it is if mm&ff said the camaro 25th has just a little slower track time than the cobra then this has to beat the cobra.<!-- Signature -->

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>THIS CAR IS NOT COMPARABLE IN ANY WAY TO THE COBRA. IF YOU THINK IT IS YOU NEED TO GET A CLUE. STOP TALKING ABOUT TOPICS WHEN IT IS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM.

this post is directed to anyone who fits in this catagory(you know who you are).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes it is if mm&ff said the camaro 25th has just a little slower track time than the cobra then this has to beat the cobra.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ok camaro, I'm getting sick of how stupid you are. Here is a short list of cars that will out perform the new gto, if the gto comes out with 350hp and weighing in at 3800lbs.
    Mustang cobra 2001
    Mustang cobra 2003
    Mustang cobra r 2000
    That is just a very short list. The gto is a sweet car, but it is not some god like vehicle that will have special powers because its a "gto".

20. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 427 Z06</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 427 Z06</i>
    <b>Camaro, we've been over this SO many times. 03 Cobra’s make 365-390RWHP STOCK. With a standard 15% drivetrain loss in manuals the new Cobras are making 425-435 horsepower STOCK. Check Steeda, Bassani, MM&FF, and hundreds of Cobra owners and dyno tuners. They are seriously underated.

The weight is 3700-3800#s, in a blurb found in Motortrend. That is pretty realistic considering how heavy the Holden’s it is based on is.

Let's look at weight ratios:
    Cobra: 8.6 lb/horsepower
    z28: 11.1 lb/horsepower
    GTO: 10.9 lb/horsepower

The Cobra will absolutely kill it. As I said, the GTO is at the level of a z28.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->okay if its supposeidly making 425-435 horses howcome acceleration isnt like a Z06 the 03 stang hits 60 in 4.5 and the 1/4 in 12.9@111 and a Z06 hits 60 in 4.0 and does the 1/4 in 12.4@117 i know dat da vette weighs less and cost 50,000 and that the cobra is cheaper at 35,000 it isnt any faster considering it supposeidly has bout 20 more horses than a Z06.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

First it's not 'supposedly'. It IS making those numbers.

Second, there are many reasons why the z06 is still faster. But simply put, the z06 has to pull almost 1 less pound per horsepower. The Cobra costs $15,000 less, you think the corvette SHOULD be faster, don't you?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    yea just like i think that an aston martin vanquish should be faster than a Z06 cuz it costs 5 times more ;)(which it isnt)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

What is your point?<!-- Signature -->

21. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>are you in denial or just stupid. an astin martin is not made purely for speed. it is an ultra-highend luxury sports car. it has nothing to do with a mustang and corvette comparison. just face the facts, the new mustang cobra will beat a Z06 for less money.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    can the cobra hit sixty in 4 seconds no can it do the 1/4 in 12.4 no does it have the title of americas sports car no does it have the prestige of a vette no. anyway this is a gto thread so i should'nt get off the subject.<!-- Signature -->

22. 02 Mustang Trans Am vs GTO, easy decision

all i have to say, is why does ford go with the turbo in the cobra.
    The Trans Am, seen on the Jaguar chassis.
    is the ultimate Mustang Engine 5.0 V8.
    will it kill the GTO?
    yes
    did it kill the Dodge Viper? Yes it did
    the Porsche GT1, yes it did?
    Did the Vette compete with it? Couldn't match up.
    Oh about, that 390, and 425 business.
    a cobra svt is 390.
    425... if you hook it up, of course..
    but, i must say... who carws.
    Mustang V8 Trans Am, is 650 hp, 450 lbs torque
    can't beat 4 secs?
    how under 3 for you?
    and yes, a Mustang....
    who says Ford doesn't make good cars.<!-- Signature -->

23. you know svt has hands in all cobras so what are you talking about. cobra can do those numbers we are talking about new car not older models. face it the cobra will beat this in the strip and i am quiet sure it will beat it in the course too. and what the hell does aston have to do with anything. anyway vantage lemans kicks corvettes ass what about that.

24. Re: 02 Mustang Trans Am vs GTO, easy decision

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from JaguarX</i>
    <b>all i have to say, is why does ford go with the turbo in the cobra.
    The Trans Am, seen on the Jaguar chassis.
    is the ultimate Mustang Engine 5.0 V8.
    will it kill the GTO?
    yes
    did it kill the Dodge Viper? Yes it did
    the Porsche GT1, yes it did?
    Did the Vette compete with it? Couldn't match up.
    Oh about, that 390, and 425 business.
    a cobra svt is 390.
    425... if you hook it up, of course..
    but, i must say... who carws.
    Mustang V8 Trans Am, is 650 hp, 450 lbs torque
    can't beat 4 secs?
    how under 3 for you?
    and yes, a Mustang....
    who says Ford doesn't make good cars.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Dude lay off the f^cking crack and herion, please. Out ot that whole post I understood none of it. You are either mentally challenged or just a moron, I'll let you pick.

25. Re: 02 Mustang Trans Am vs GTO, easy decision

lol. this guy is a little bit to young to be left alone with a computer.<!-- Signature -->