Since Ferrari’s 410 S was developed specifically as a factory race car, it was rare for an unused chassis to be sent directly to Scaglietti for a road-going Coupe body. Such is the case with chassis 0592CM, prepared for Michel-Paul Cavallier. He was a French industrialist who already had an impressive stable of custom Ferraris in his garage including an opulent Superamerica with Pinin farina bodywork.
The resulting 410 S Coupe body was a larger version of the 250 MM Coupe by Pinin Farina. However, Scaglietti changed the shape of the front radiator and nose sufficiently enough to call it their own. As such, it was one of the few cars fitted with a ‘Scaglietti & C.’ badge behind the front wheels. But unlike the 250 MM, the 410 used a much more larger and potent engine.
The centerpiece of the 410 S series was a Tipo 126C 60º V12 that was capable of 380 bhp in its highest state of tune. The first two cars called Speciales were delivered as customer cars with single plug ignition. Since 0592CM was tuned for street use, it used three Weber 46 DCF-3 carburetors to produce 340 bhp @ 6000 rpm. The second car was delivered as a with competition spyder bodywork, however the following two cars were made by the factory with twin-plug ignition to produce 380 bhp.
Unusually, 0592CM was delivered new in cream-colored bodywork. It was used by Michel-Paul Cavallier for nearly ten years which is one of the reasons why it never raced. In the sixties, 0592CM was repainted red and ended up in Pierre Bardinon’s ‘Mas du Clos’ collection. It remained in Bardinon’s collection, only appearing once in 1987 at Cartier’s ‘Hommage a Ferrari’ exhibition in Paris. By 2001, it was sold out of the collection to John Bosch who restored the car and repainted it back to the original cream color. He also removed Bardinon’s ostentatious ‘Mas du Clos’ badge on the right fender.
Back in its original configuration and displayed by John Hunt, 0592CM was finally seen by the public for the first time since 1987 at the 2009 Villa d’Este Concorso d’Eleganza. It won an Mention of Honour in Class G “RACING CARS FROM THE EARLY FIFTIES”.
Parallel A-Arms w/Coil Springs, Houdaille Shock Absorbers
De Dion Type w/Transverse Leaf Spring, Trailing Arms, Houdaille Shock Absorbers
2420 mm / 95.3 in
Auction Sales History
1955 Ferrari 410 Berlinetta Speciale 0594CM – Striking, one-off Scaglietti Berlinetta coachwork. Specially built for Ferrari SEFAC board member Michel Paul-Cavallier. Ex-Pierre Bardinon; Mas du Clos Collection for thirty-five years. Close relative of the 1954 Le Mans-winning 375 Plus. First appearance of the 4.9-liter Superamerica engine. Award-winner at the 2009 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este. Ferrari Classiche certified and matching numbers. A unique and very original, important Ferrari. Auction Source: Monterey 2012 by RM Auctions