In 1958, Mercedes-Benz updated their 220 S with the inclusion of mechanical fuel injection. Thus the new 220 SE benefited from increased power to 137 bhp.
Internally, the injection coupes were known by bodycode W128 with the engine code M127.983. From October 1958 to November 1960 the 830 coupes were produced alongside the cabriolet and sedan.
Unlike the sedan, the 220 cabriolet and sedan 220s were produced by the Sindelfingen factory.