1 August, 2007 – The Continental GT Speed is the most powerful production Bentley ever and the first to top 200mph (322km/h). A potent addition to the company’s highly successful Continental series, the GT Speed extends the appeal of the Continental GT coupe to driving enthusiasts who place a high value on outright performance and agile handling.
The exterior style of the new Continental GT and GT Speed models is defined by a wider, lower air intake and more upright radiator grille that also provide increased airflow to the more powerful GT Speed. Its 600bhp (610PS) W12 engine develops 15 percent more torque and nine percent more power than the standard Continental GT, while engine efficiency is optimised by the use of lower friction, lighter-weight components and a new engine management system. The resultant performance is exceptional, with a top speed of 202mph (326km/h), a zero to 60mph sprint time of just 4.3 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.5s) and effortless overtaking capability.
Complementing the Continental GT Speed’s high performance is its unique chassis tune that delivers tauter handling and improved agility, with new, wider 9.5J 20-inch wheels and bespoke performance tyres as standard fitment.
Fade-resistant carbon ceramic brakes are available as an option. Subtle design touches, including a dark-tinted front grille and larger sports tailpipes, reinforce the sporting character of the Continental GT Speed.
Inspiration for the GT Speed came from the legendary ‘Speed’ models that first appeared in 1923. The standard Bentley 3-litre had already established Bentley’s engineering superiority in terms of roadholding, handling and braking, but W.O. Bentley, the company’s founder, recognised the market potential for a more potent version aimed at the enthusiast driver who demanded superior performance. His response, the 3-litre ‘Speed Model’, complete with twin SU carburettors and a higher compression ratio engine, became one of the most coveted of all Bentleys.
Both the GT Speed and the 552bhp (560PS) Continental GT benefit from internal efficiency improvements to deliver reduced fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. The Continental GT remains outstandingly quick ? its top speed is unchanged at 198mph (318km/h), with a 0-60mph sprint time of 4.6 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.8s).
The all-wheel drive Continental GT changed the face of the luxury coupe market and attracted a wider audience to the Bentley marque. It also represented the first step in Bentley’s renaissance, positioning the company at the pinnacle of both technology and consumer aspiration. Since its launch, demand for a sportier version of the Continental GT was met by the successful introduction of the 2005 GT Mulliner Driving Specification and the limited edition GT Diamond Series in 2006, to celebrate 60 years of Bentley at Crewe. Now, with the launch of the Continental GT Speed, customers will enjoy even greater choice. Bentley Chairman and Chief Executive Dr Franz Josef-Paefgen welcomes the expansion of the Continental GT model offering:
”The Continental GT is a highly successful, modern-day Bentley icon. The new GT Speed, with its harder-edged character and sportier driving experience, builds on this success.”
New Continental GT Series in Brief
Continental GT Speed
– The most powerful Bentley production car ever, its highly efficient W12 engine delivers 600bhp (610PS/449kW) and 553lb ft (750Nm):
A nine percent increase in power and 15 percent increase in torque.
– Top speed of 202mph (326km/h).
– 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.5s).
– 0-100mph in 10.3 seconds (0-160km/h in 10.2s).
– Effortless overtaking performance: 50-70mph in just 2.3 seconds (80-120km/h in 3.0s).
– CO2 emissions reduced by 3.5 percent to 396 g/km, with a similar reduction in fuel consumption as a result of improved engine efficiency.
– Harder-edged, more sporting driving experience through enhanced chassis:
-Lowered ride height, uprated spring/damper settings and uprated anti-roll bars for improved agility and body control.
-New levels of roadholding thanks to superior grip from unique 9.5Jx20 wheels with bespoke Pirelli P-Zero performance tyres.
-Improved steering response achieved through retuned speed-sensitive Servotronic system, solid-mounted front subframe and stiffer rear bushings.
– ‘Dynamic’ mode introduced on the uprated Bosch 8.1 ESP system with more progressive intervention to cater for the more spirited driver.
– Subtle styling modifications distinguish the Continental GT Speed from the Continental GT:
-Front grille and lower air intakes in dark-tinted chrome matrix.
-Wider rifled sports exhaust tail pipes.
-Mulliner Driving Specification (also available as an option on the Continental GT) includes:
-Drilled alloy sport foot-pedals, knurled chrome/hide gearlever
-Diamond quilted hide to seat facings, doors and rear quarter panels.
– Power output of the standard W12 engine remains at 552bhp (560PS) but benefits from internal efficiency improvements for a reduction in C02 emissions of 3.5 percent to 396 g/km, with a similar reduction in fuel consumption.
– Top speed is unchanged at 198mph (318km/h), with a 0-60mph time of 4.6 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.8s).
– Improved ride comfort thanks to addition of new low-friction dampers.
– In combination with the all-wheel drive system, the uprated ESP 8.1 with new Sport Traction mode ensures superb traction, without being intrusive.
– Distinctive, classic Bentley ‘B’ brake pedal.