Tokyo, February 24, 2009 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches “Subaru Impreza WRX A-Line” which is a new addition to the current WRX STI model. The model goes on sale nationwide through Subaru dealerships today in Japan.
Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the WRX STI A-Line model was developed to offer its distinctive driving performance to a wider range of customers by integrating 2.5-litre turbocharged Boxer engine and 5 Speed Automatic Transmission with SPORTSHIFT*.
In addition, the current WRX STI was given some refinements to enhance comfort and quality feel; 8 way power adjustable front seats and a new body color, “Satin White Pearl”, is now available.
*SPORTSHIFT is a registered trademark of Prodrive Ltd.
The model features the exclusively developed 2.5-litre Subaru BOXER turbo engine with SPORTSHIFT* E-5AT, while retaining the basic component such as chassis and body of the WRX STI, Subaru’s performance flagship.
* The unique 2.5-litre BOXER engine comes with a single scroll turbocharger and produces a flat torque from the low and mid-rev range to high-rev range.
* Dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS) was adopted to control continuously valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, which improves low and mid-range range torque, high-rev range output and environmental friendliness.
* Tumble Generation Valve (TGV) controls the intake air stream to generate high combustion efficiency.
* SI-DRIVE (SUBARU Intelligent Drive), that enables the drivers to choose three different engine mappings, is standard.
* Paddle shift is featured to allow manual shifting without requiring the driver to release the steering wheel.
* Downshifting Blipping Control system was adopted. When down-shifting, the automatic transmission control unit interacts with the engine management system and increases engine revolutions instantly and to the exact required setting.
* Changing gears with the paddle shift can also be done by a temporary operation that does not require the selection lever to be set to the manual position.
* VTD (Variable Torque Distribution)-AWD system was adopted to provide excellent stability of the vehicle, which controls the torque distribution ratio between the front and rear axles depending on driving conditions.
* 17-inches ventilated dual piston disk brakes for the front, and 16-inches ventilated disk brakes for the rear were fitted.
* VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) System is standard.
* 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat is standard. Leather seats are available as optional and include (front) seat heating. Soft leather door trim with silver stitch is featured.
* Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
* Displacement: 2457 cc
* Maximum output: 221kW (300 PS)/6200 rpm
* Maximum torque: 350 Nm (35.7 kgf·m)/2800～6000 rpm
* Turbo type: Single Scroll turbocharger