Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TOXA, Nov 18, 2015.
Site has been dead for ages
RIP dumpert d00t links and 0.3L TFSi talk
Can I be a moderator
Suprabloke is RUDE!
I've never touched reddit, don't make me start now.
Can we have a drunk tank
Laughter over the double post.
"We" is a guy who is a car nut like you guys. I am not some corporation, just a regular old dude with a day job who always wanted to buy a car site (I own other some other sites for full disclosure in totally different verticals).
My goal is to want the site awesome. Both the static pages with all the individual cars as well as the forums. I read tons of complains on the forums, which is why I want to upgrade it to a newer version. We're upgrading to something up to 2015 tech, while keeping all the old content. The new version we're working on is going to ensure everything stays the same in terms of post count, attachment, polls, everything. The current system is archaic, you guys should have something better.
BTW. I'm totally open to ideas. This is your forum, so tell me what you want and I'll try and make it happen - as long as it is reasonable.
wow I'm pinching myself with Knipex pliers!
I think a smooth html5 interface is what we deserve. Proper security since lots of teens full or angst like to spam and hack this forum.
make me a mod also this is basically the only requirement for success
This is quite exciting, tbh.
I'm going to have to update my tattoo.
in case you guys want to see it, we're using https://xenforo.com/ as the platform. it is pretty great, especially considering it allows all the importing of data and stuff. some of the others we looked at couldn't handle that part.
As far as "what we want" - my feeling would be that It would just be nice to have a forum that works properly. Off the top of my head:
- A forum that can't be hijacked by a correctly placed apostrophe, or angry Finn.
- Search function
- Reliable PM system
- A revised selection of mods - it's likely that more than half of the members with moderator status no longer visit.
- Photos that show up in the order you chose to upload them in
- Support for various image file types (not just .jpg)
- Support for images larger than 2MB. This was okay when digital cameras were shit, but these days everyone carries a camera that creates files bigger than 2MB.
- When posts are deleted or members are banned their posts only become invisible, as opposed to disappearing altogether. This creates issues when threads become very long as new pages don't show up until the number of posts on that new page is equal to the number of deleted posts in that thread (hence seeing "next post" over and over). If someone has spammed hundreds of posts in a thread and they're all deleted, then the thread is rendered useless.
I suppose using a forum template that's already readily available and proven would mean that all of this is would be fixed.
EDIT: Oh yeah and for the people that have been here forever, if colour options can be made account-specific with the new forum template I think it would be a nice touch to have Royal Blue as an option.
EDIT2: gold stars are essential.
no superbot also I still have nightmares about it
An important aspect of having a forum that runs smoothly is having a pro-active admin who is able (and willing!) to resolve issues.
A few years ago Rich seemed to lose interest in the forum. It's the room in his house that he never goes in.
thats not rich. that the other dude. rich just posted content on the front page
anyway, youtube embedding would be nice
Just checked it again.
The Facebook link on the left links to the supercars.net page we're all liking already.
The "Supercar Forum" picture links to the main forum page.
Oh was that Dan?
They never said when either of them was posting as Admin. GottaBeKD became the faceless "Admin" and left us for dead ;_;
I definitely agree on the YouTube embedding. Photo embedding within posts would be good too, as long as the resolution was limited to something sensible so you don't have to scroll all over when someone uploads something huge
Can we have the year in the time stamp, as well as the correct timezone? We've been living in Western Samoa forever.
Can we keep the emoticons we have at the moment? Even though the guy who made them left years ago they're unique to this place <A BORDER="0" HREF="http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?displayFAQ=y"><IMG BORDER="0" SRC="pitlane/emoticons/confused.gif"></A><A BORDER="0" HREF="http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?displayFAQ=y"><IMG BORDER="0" SRC="pitlane/emoticons/angry.gif"></A><A BORDER="0" HREF="http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?displayFAQ=y"><IMG BORDER="0" SRC="pitlane/emoticons/PnutSpecial.gif"></A>
more social media is good
and oh and admin are you building the site on wordpress? that's what it looks like.
if you have any questions, i'm a webdesigner that only uses wordpress. so if you're stuck with something, feel free to ask and i can pitch in.
Ok guys. This is awesome. I'll comment on all your comments:
- A forum that can't be hijacked - YES
- Search function- YES
- Reliable PM system- YES
- Karma(!) (not sure what this is?)
- A revised selection of mods - TOTALLY AGREE. WANT TO HELP ME CREATE A REFRESHED LIST?
- Photos that show up in the order you chose to upload them in - YES
- TRAFFIC - I'LL WORK ON THAT ONE. FORUM STILL GETS SOLID TRAFFIC (DOWN VS YEARS AGO THOUGH).
- Support for various image file types (not just .jpg) - YES.
- Support for images larger than 2MB. This was okay when digital cameras were shit, but these days everyone carries a camera that creates files bigger than 2MB. - TOTALLY AGREE. YES.
- When posts are deleted or members are banned their posts only become invisible - NOT SURE. I'LL CHECK.
- Colour options can be made account-specific - NOT SURE. I'LL CHECK.
- gold stars are essential. YES. AND COOL EMOTICONS TOO.
- Pro-active admin. NOT MY STRENGTH (JUST WANT TO BE FULLY TRANSPARENT TO YOU GUYS. CAN WE HAVE A "ADVISORS" PANEL WHO COULD REACH OUT TO ME DIRECTLY TO SOLVE BIG ISSUES? I'M OPEN TO IDEAS.
- Youtube embedding - YES.
- Photo embedding within posts - YES.
- Year in the time stamp, as well as the correct timezone - YES.
- Is the new site ( http://blog.supercars.net/blog/) on Wordpress. YES, IT IS.
I think I got everything. Honestly guys, I am new to the forum side. I have owned content websites. Please be patient with me an be honest and call me out if f-ck up. I'll try my best.
Also the fact I cant see posts. Next Page
There we go. Can you fix that? I think when people delete their posts in threads, it throws off the code or something and hides legitimate posts.
admin tell us about yourself