These magazines are bunk...

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by Chevrolet097, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

how bout this sa ur precious lil vette broke down on the track...sorry bro there is no replacement...oops no more record now

2. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

It already set the record, you could blow it up and the record would remain.

3. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

Wouldn't it be the engineers back then, seeing how it was 6 years ago? And it never took me that long to change out the sparkplugs and wires on a Camaro.

4. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

The Sledge is 400K THE F1 is over a million. Come on guy, use you head and compromise! You can pick up a Bugatti Veyron for only 800k, right in the middle. Twice the price for twice the engine, twice the powered wheels, twice the grace, and twice the turbos. The EB 16/4 is going to be the fastest car in the world, except fo the Thrust SSC, but that's another story...<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

ferarri f40 bugatti guy whoever the heck u are, FIND A DIFFERENT SITE!!! you are jus not seeing that this car really is better than whatever ferarri or lambo makes. it is accept it n go the hell away!!

6. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from steve71</i>
    <b>Damnit guys this car would smoke the $hit outta a mclaren...it goes more than 250 mph.

Anyway, i think the f1 is an american made car...or am i wrong?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No it's a British made car with a BMW engine.

7. In response to the 3rd post in this thread (I dont remember your name, sorry)

The McLaren that Andretti tested had the gear ratios changed, 217.XXX MPH is not the top speed of a production McLaren, it is the top speed setup by Ameritech when they arrive in the U.S.

Among other things. the ambition of the speedometer was overlooked with a lack of intellect by folks in Texas that day and later in the writing department....

11.6 in the 1/4 mile...did you know that car had 485 HP when it did that? McLarens can run 10.9 all day in the 1/4 mile (I think american ones can go even faster because of the gear changing); it is the only *production* car to date that can run a 10 right off the showroom floor, no modifications/no mixers in the gas etc. I've seen videos of 11.0 no problem 1/4 mile in a McLaren; 11.3 is the best time I ever saw a magazine give a McLaren in the 1/4. I've seen 0-60 MPH times range from 3.1 to 3.7 in magazines; thats a huge spread.

Gordon Murray purposely designed the car to understeer. It was setup like this for a reason; people who buy these cars, for the most part, cannot drive them. Whenever a McLaren is purchased, it is sent back to woking, surrey and tuned to the specifications of the new owner. So in a sense, there is a -HUGE- range of factors that could be adjusted which therin would effect handling.

Skidpad times are an gauge of a cars handling, but its not everything. Because a car has a higher skidpad rating dosen't mean that it will outhandle/outperform a car with a lower skidpad rating. Most peeps know this, so Im wondering why Im even writing it.

Trivia time...what global automobile maker owns a controlling stake in peterson publishing (if u dont know what PP is, look inside the cover of Motor Trend/Mustangs and Fords and other mags)?

Heres a hint...its one of the two global auto companies that isnt in
    F1.

EDIT: BTW, when outside people start verifying these statistics I'll start believing them. I'd love to see them re-run the callaway...and I have a pretty good idea why they won't<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: A mclaren f1 would tear this peice of SHlT to shreds on a tr

it really depends on the track they raced on if it was a super tight track with no straitaways of length the mclaren may win but if there are strait aways of any length the vette would beat the mclaren. when i say straitaways of length i dont mean straits a couple miles long imean any straits of about 50 meters in length.