What does R/T stand for?

Discussion in '1970 Dodge Challenger R/T' started by paularscott, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: What does R/T stand for?

R/T stood for Road & Track, dood..I believe Plymouth called their Muscle Cars the Rapid Transit pack (maybe thats where you got it from) while Dodge referred to theirs as the Scat Pack, which consisted of the 1968 Charger R/T, the Coronet Super Bee R/T & the Dart GTSport..

2. Re: What does R/T stand for?

I'm sure it is Road/Track. I think Plymouth had an advertising campaign calling their cars the rapid transit system. Anyway this is a badass car!

3. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Dodge: The Scat Pack - The cars with the Bumble Bee Stripes. ie. Coronet, Superbee, Dart, Charger

Plymouth: The Rapid Transit - Cuda, GTX, RoadRunner

R/T and T/A were Dodge models along with SE which meant Special Edition ( leather int. vinyl roof, extra goodies).R/T means "Road" & "Track" dont believe that, i have an actual catalog from 68 from Dodge talking about the Coronet R/T. The cars that sported the R/T badge were cars that had engines of 383, 440, 440+6, and Hemi. T/A stood for "Trans America". For some reason "Scat Pack" just took off. People loved it. But for "The Rapid Transit" it just never caught on.
    Oh and GTS on the Dart's stood for Gran Touring Sport

My Baby: 69 Dodge SuperBee
    Fathers: 69 Dodge Dart GTS Conv. & 79 Lil Red Express
    Mothers: 69 Plymouth Barracuda Conv.
    Brothers: 70 Plymnouth Barracuda Gran Coupe

4. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Geeeez! You and you're family got cars worth killing for !!

Those cars would be worth a fortune in Sweden !!

5. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Ill have to get a pic of all of them together for ya. Well see my dad is a mopar guy. He bought his Dart brand new back in 69, and my mom bought her Cuda new also back in 69. They met each other from other friends. And then they got married. My brothers Cuda is actually my uncles (my dads brother). My uncle didnt want it anymore so my bro took it. So i complained cause i wanted a mopar to. So my dad had the bee. But it needed so major work. So him and I spent 2 summers fixing her up. Now, my dad has taken the job of restoring a 79 lil red express. He said this was the last one (yea right). Do you get Mopar Muscle in Sweden? If ya do, take a look at August of 2002. The last page has a section called Penate Stars. The first car on there is a 69 Dart GTS conv. That would be my dads.

6. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Yeah, we have Mopar Muscle magazine in Sweden, I'm not sure if I can get hold of any back issues though, I will check out their website.

What's the specs on that -79 lil red express? engine? tranny?

7. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Engine is a 360 Police Package, came in 78 and 79. Gears are 3:55 posi, and 727 Torqueflight.

8. Re: What does R/T stand for?

360 Police Package? Was this truck used by Law Enforcers?
    Didn't they have that enigne in the late 70's Dodge Monaco cop car?

9. Re: What does R/T stand for?

In the Monaco could come with a 318,383, or 440. Na, the truck wasnt used by the police, though, i think that would scare the shit out of me to see a lil red truck with a light bar on top and smoke stacks on the side telling me to pull over lol.

10. Re: What does R/T stand for?

He he, Yeah you're right! I should have figured that out for myself.

Imagine a -03 RAM SRT-10 cop truck with smoke stacks....
    Come to think of it, they really ought to put smoke stacks on the new RAM SRT-10, that would be most intimidating...

11. Re: What does R/T stand for?

you're a tard!! why the hell would it be rapid transist. shut up!!!

12. Re: What does R/T stand for?

My dad has had Mopars come and go and quite a few hemi R/T's.
    I believe R/T stands for Road&Track.

13. Re: What does R/T stand for?

so does that mean u yake a dodge viper r/t off road? use ur head

14. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Its road and track, these things have nothing to do with rally AT ALL!

15. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Ur f*ckin' dumb R/T stands for Road&track.

16. Re: What does R/T stand for?

See he gets it, these aren't rally&track cause they do not have rally like suspension at all, and just to prove that its Road&Track I asked Daimler Chrysler and guess what they said. ROAD&TRACK!!!!!!!!

17. Re: What does R/T stand for?

I would have to concur with Photon MT900. According to Dodge, R/T stands for Road/Track for exactly the reason stated:drive to the track, race, drive home.

18. Re: What does R/T stand for?

R/T = Road & Track, what they meant when they came out with it, is use it on the road during the week, and take it to the track on weekends! - Big mopar enthusiast

19. Re: What does R/T stand for?

why rally?

20. Re: What does R/T stand for?

Thanx to the extreme. Anyone here who thinks its rally/track can just go home and read their mopar books. Then they can find road&track and be mopar people again. You are one of the few correct.
    So any ways on to the next thread I'm about to make!

21. Re: What does R/T stand for?

R/T = Road & Track. Rapid Transit was the name Plymouth gave their line of cars just like Dodge came up with the Scat Pack.

22. Re: What does R/T stand for?

road and track ....nuff said

23. Re: What does R/T stand for?

I know. so any body visit my dad's site yet?

24. Re: What does R/T stand for?

road/track

25. Re: What does R/T stand for?

really/ tight