USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by JHens, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Tim851</i>
    <b>@Will

Check it out where?

And then WHO paid them?

I mean, even the greatest Chevy-Fan out there will have a hard time to believe that Ferrari, Honda, Ford, BMW, Renault, Toyota & Mercedes
    took on the challenges of each other but when Chevy came they shivered and thought, well let's collect some money and pay them off.

What you mean is maybe GM Stock Holders paid Chevy not to waste their money and time in an unsuccesful F1-participation.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It isn't exactly something you'd look up at a GM site, and Chevy made F1 engines beforethey were damn good for their time.

2. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

Now I know what you mean Will, so listen, you'll love that:

Mario Illien and Paul Morgan once founded a company called "Ilmore".
    They were a developer for racing engines. Roger Penske purchased one half of the comp and talked Chevy into purchasing the other half. From the mid 70's Ilmore developed the Chevy engines for the Indy series and they were tremendously succesful. So Ilmore headed for Formula One but they couldn't compete. So Chevy got cold feet and dropped out. That's when Mercedes-Benz got the second half of Imore.
    Since then Ilmore builds the engines for the McLaren Mercedes that won them 2 chamionships lately.
    So technically, Chevy did build F1 engines but they were shit.
    Nobody paid them off, it's just as I said, they didn't want to waste their money.

BTW you're maybe confused because McLaren-Chevrolet were once very succesful in CAN-AM racing...

3. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

1) The Sledgehammer had to take several trys to achieve its top speed because the engine kept missing. It doesn't really matter what a cars top speed is if it won't properly run. Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, & I could name a few more. Could all build a one of a kind car that could achieve a top speed faster than the Sledgehammer & I can basically guarantee that the Engines wouldn't be misfiring & that their cars would be prepared to go unlike that over tuned piece of crap Sledgehammer.
    2) Mario Andretti test drove the McLaren F1 & its actual top speed was a little over 217 MPH not 240 MPH. I guess some people in this site will try to tell me Mario Andretti doesn't know how to drive.
    3) The street legal version of the Viper can be out braked by almost every supercar in the world. In fact the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG(Remember that this is a sedan that is based on the E320) can out brake it & anybody that knows anything about supercars can tell braking is very important.
    4) They test drove both the Viper & Ferrari 355 Spyder at Willow Springs on Speed Vision & the Ferrari ran lap times over a second faster.

4. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Will938</i>
    <b>Indy.....</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Indy..... what is that supposed to mean. Any Formula 1 race in the rain = real driving skills.

5. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

No Dude, I ment CAN-AM...

Far as I know McLaren's partner in the Indys was Ford

6. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BrownDoggie</i>
    <b>Why are you bringing rocket cars into this? That was assenine. America has an F-14 Fighter Plane that can top out at over Mach 2 and pull 9 G's around a corner, who cares?? Internal combustion is the word of the day, buddy.

To that all-caps guy: You're just jealous because America still holds the fastest production car title (Ameritech McLaren F-1, baby!!).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> BMW engine

7. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

Hey Buggatti driver I have news for u.Trans Ams suck shit.a viper could woop it.and a comaro,the only reison I like them is because the looks of it.a sledghammer may be a little old but it could wipe the floor with any peice of shit car you like.

8. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

excuse me, but the reference to the Ameritech Mclaren F1 is not true
    the company AAmeritech simply makes the f1 legal in the US and in doing so brings the top speed down from 240mph to a mere 217mph!!!! u guys have to learn these things!!!!!!!!! wow, peace<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NismoSkylineR34GTR</i>
    <b>you should rephrase the topic as USA is the king of cars with vitually no steering angle.

what can this car do well in any track other than freakin indy race track

cant rally, cant do any F1 tracks faster than even rice rockets and cant even do drag well, the acceleration aint that good

takes freakin 2km to get to its top speed. and this isnt even production. freakin test car.

look how ugly it is

with the same engine the japs and germans can make the acceleration go better, better top speed, and higher bhp and torque.

Americans juss put the biggest engines they can find into a tasteless car its freaking 14 yrs old

and for the ones who are proud cuz the speed hasnt being beaten. SO WAT?

modern cars are not going for top speed but acceleration and handling

its like the owner is going to go that fast in vegas. far out

americans dont hav good tech to refine their cars, yeh good try u lazy nobs juss put a 20liter v12 and expect to get high horse and torque

japs and germans rule the car industry

AMERICANS SUCKS ASS

SHUT UR UGLY FACES</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END
    QUOTE -->

First off you don't seem to know a damn thing about this car. Scotti had very interesting reasons on why it was production.

If the Japs and Germans could do the same with this engine then why don't you take your ass over to them and explain it, because they'd laugh at your face.

Well your rice rockets and euro-overpriced cars haven't beat this so that tells me something... Modern cars ARE going for top speed, they just can't seem to beat this car.

Americans made much of the technology japs use so don't gimme that shit.

It isn't lazy if it's efficient, and since I can make an engine cheaper and of equal performance to than ANYTHING your contries can I'd shut my mouth if I were you.

Explain to me how Japs and Germans rule the car industry.

10. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

why do they rule ?

porsche made the engine for panoz. the fastest accelerating car OFFICIALLY. dun gimme viper's 2.4 sec its wif cheater tyres.

best rally car happened to be mitsubishi .

usa cars are crap

its not efficient

hasn't got any good bhp ratios

skyline is the best car
    american cars sucks stinky ass

shut ur face, i dun noe about cars

i kick ur ass

11. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NismoSkylineR34GTR</i>
    <b>why do they rule ?

porsche made the engine for panoz. the fastest accelerating car OFFICIALLY. dun gimme viper's 2.4 sec its wif cheater tyres.

best rally car happened to be mitsubishi .

usa cars are crap

its not efficient

hasn't got any good bhp ratios

skyline is the best car
    american cars sucks stinky ass

shut ur face, i dun noe about cars

i kick ur ass

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

So what, Chevy is paid not to make F1 engines because they were too good.

Show me ANY Japanese or European car with 405 NA HP that gets anywhere near 28 MPG.

From your illogical sentences and constant misspelled words my guess is that you arn't old enough to own a car so why don't you tell us, how old are you?

Go read your Import Tuner mag you found in the dumpster child.

12. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

First of all to claim Chevy gets paid for not making F1 engines because they were too good is the most arrogant, stupid and righteous thing I've heard in these forums.

And second which car do you mean with this 400 NA HP and a 28 mpg mileage? Then, if you got it, visit the Homepage of its manufacturer and they will surely tell you it's lower.
    Porsche claims their Turbo has a mileage of 29 but everytime it's being tested it comes out that you will only get this by going at low rpms and leaving the first 2 gears alone. But if you drive it like a sportscar demands, the mileage drops significantly.
    So next time you want to attack some of the morons in here don't become one yourself.

13. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Will938</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NismoSkylineR34GTR</i>
    <b>you should rephrase the topic as USA is the king of cars with vitually no steering angle.

what can this car do well in any track other than freakin indy race track

cant rally, cant do any F1 tracks faster than even rice rockets and cant even do drag well, the acceleration aint that good

takes freakin 2km to get to its top speed. and this isnt even production. freakin test car.

look how ugly it is

with the same engine the japs and germans can make the acceleration go better, better top speed, and higher bhp and torque.

Americans juss put the biggest engines they can find into a tasteless car its freaking 14 yrs old

and for the ones who are proud cuz the speed hasnt being beaten. SO WAT?

modern cars are not going for top speed but acceleration and handling

its like the owner is going to go that fast in vegas. far out

americans dont hav good tech to refine their cars, yeh good try u lazy nobs juss put a 20liter v12 and expect to get high horse and torque

japs and germans rule the car industry

AMERICANS SUCKS ASS

SHUT UR UGLY FACES</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END
    QUOTE -->

First off you don't seem to know a damn thing about this car. Scotti had very interesting reasons on why it was production.

If the Japs and Germans could do the same with this engine then why don't you take your ass over to them and explain it, because they'd laugh at your face.

Well your rice rockets and euro-overpriced cars haven't beat this so that tells me something... Modern cars ARE going for top speed, they just can't seem to beat this car.

Americans made much of the technology japs use so don't gimme that shit.

It isn't lazy if it's efficient, and since I can make an engine cheaper and of equal performance to than ANYTHING your contries can I'd shut my mouth if I were you.

Explain to me how Japs and Germans rule the car industry.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Sorry, Will, but you actually canŽt make anyone believe that america builds the best cars, first of all Žcause its bullshit.
    2. Any serious technician at bmw or mb (i mean the ones that have a little more responsibility than the others) has ABSOLUTELY NO problem building an equally powered engine, and i think it will last a little longer than this one.
    3. No one wants to really "beat" this car, because no one is really interested in it. In my personal opinion, Corvettes built after the wonderful (lookin) Stingray suck real big donkey dick.

14. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Tim851</i>
    <b>First of all to claim Chevy gets paid for not making F1 engines because they were too good is the most arrogant, stupid and righteous thing I've heard in these forums.

And second which car do you mean with this 400 NA HP and a 28 mpg mileage? Then, if you got it, visit the Homepage of its manufacturer and they will surely tell you it's lower.
    Porsche claims their Turbo has a mileage of 29 but everytime it's being tested it comes out that you will only get this by going at low rpms and leaving the first 2 gears alone. But if you drive it like a sportscar demands, the mileage drops significantly.
    So next time you want to attack some of the morons in here don't become one yourself.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Check it out, Chevy DID get paid off not to compete.

With 405 HP the ZO-6 can attain 28 MPG. If you drive it hard of course it will drop but the fact remains that it does get 28 MPG.

15. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

Vette_Power: you should start your post with "Once upon a time..." so everybody knows you're telling stories and doesn't waste time reading it.

The Z06 60-0 braking distance you said is 105 ft. OK, far as I know that's 32 metres. And again, far as I know the ugly Porsche 911 Turbo holds that record with 34,9 metres.
    The only way the vette could do what you say would be if there's a brick wall at 105 ft.

And what landspeed records of a stock ZR1 you're talking about.
    I thought it goes like 280 kph or so which has been achieved by various other cars, including the new Corvette, and it didn't tkae them 10 years.

Dude...0

16. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

I forgot to mention that along with several misfires, the Sledgehammer also an oil leak. By the way that not 1 misfire that's several including one a 130 mph & the rear axle output shaft came loose in the housing. They has to change basically every conponent in the ignition system. Now I'm not saying other car makers like Porsche, Ferrari, etc. make perfect cars that's impossible. But the fact that they won't build a one time car built just for the purpose of top speed doesn't mean they can't & anybody who says they can't is really a moron. Vettes' racing engines working perfectly, you have got to be kidding. There is no such thing as a perfectly running race engine & if you really watch racing then you can't tell that the Vette's engine never breaks down. The sledgehammer achieve 255mph yes that is impressive but it was a one of a kind car that was built just for that purpose & to say it is better than all those great cars based on on performance stat is ridiculous.

17. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

The land speed record was the distance covered over a period of 24 hours of flat out speed, not the fastest top speed, but you need durable engine to run flat out 24 hours around 7,000 rpms,,,

you need to do a little research before you think everyone else is wrong. Yes the vette stops in 105 ft from 60, and no... there was no brick wall.

18. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

YANK

Here is why the misfire they explain what it was in this atricle.

" Up to 198.6 mph and suddenly smoke appeared from under the car. An oil leak began surfacing, and at about the same time the misfire returned. The leak was minor, traced to an oil adapter housing in the drysump system. But the misfire was another story, so Sledgehammer returned to the garage.

New spark plug wires were made up, the ground wire was replaced, and a small puncture was discovered in a tire. Reeves had parked it just in time. It was also discovered that one of the rear axle output shafts was loose in the housing, so a spare rear was bolted in place. Think it's easy to go very fast? Think again.

On Saturday, the weather broke, but it was cold and windy, and the car continued to misfire. They changed Zytec units, MSD units and virtually every component in the ignition system. Reeves had to fly to England, so Sunday would be a time to regroup. But the weather forecast for the following week was grim, and Monday graced the team with snow flurries and general misery.

When Reeves returned from England with a severe cold, he handed over the driving chores to Lingenfelter. Tuesday came the breakthrough. The misfire had been traced to three contaminated A/C Rochester fuel injectors."

Now the top speed of this car is EXACTLY what makes this car great, if it was so simple then someone who have passed it by now and they have not , this is a engineering masterpiece.
    to make a car fast isnt that hard to make one that does 254 mph and still retain its low speed driving capabilties is extremly hard , look at Mclaren as an exapmle , heres a quote about the Mclaren F1 they tested in Road & Track Dec 97 .

" Slowing again for traffic reveals yet another trait: The engine overheats. Within five miles of our departure from Grand Touring Cars, the water temperature was maxed out at 120 degrees Celsius,the oil temp was nearly pegged, and both warning lights were on.
    Pulling over to let it cool, we checked the water and oil ( full) and
    we called Dick Fritz on a cell phone to ask his advice. He called Mclaren in England and was told that the car's high-speed performance demanded a compromise in low-speed cooling in city traffic, and we were not to worry about the high temperatures unless the waring lights came on again.
    So we pressed on , but in our three days of driving and testing , we had to stop three more times to let the car cool."
    now remember the Sledgehammer was driven to the Transportation Research Center in Ohio from Callaway in Connecticut and then driven back , heres another quote about what makes the sledgehammer great.
    " The goal for the Sledgehammer is simple : Run 250 mph , but make it happen with a car with a " wide dynamic range" that can easily encompass both the 6.8 horsepower to cruise at 60 mph and the 880 to go 254 mph."
    now look at Mclaren the wanted a car that was a light as possible , so they didn't use ABS or power streering , they used more carbon fiber then any other raod car previously , they wanted the lighest car possible and they got it , and the best it did was 217.7 mph, now the Sledgehammer weighs more then a 1000 lbs more and it has all the options avaible plus a roll bar , the Mclaren has a big advantage in the power-to-weight ratio , yet its slower and it overheats at low speeds ,and notice its been 14 years since this car did 254.76 mph and no one has beat it , now thats pretty GREAT if you ask me.

19. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

The record you cars are talking about is the 24-hour endurance record , heres a quote from Motor Trend about that record.
    " VW says it sent the stripped-out flat-black RACE VERSION to Nardo to " analyze the performance potential and the robustness of the 12-cylinder engine" it held together , all right , averaging 183.45 mph and breaking a Chevorlet Corvette ZR-1's 24-hour endurance record by 7.5 mph."
    mind you the VW was a race car and the ZR-1 was a stock corvette.

and also in the same Motor Trend Febuary 2002, they fully road test the 2002 Z06 Corvette and 60-0 in 104 feet.

20. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

4) They test drove both the Viper & Ferrari 355 Spyder at Willow Springs on Speed Vision & the Ferrari ran lap times over a second faster."

Road & Track July 1998
    Steve Millen driving around Buttonwillow Ractrack in a Ferrari F355 F1 and a Dodge Viper GTS, then clocked the slowest coner on the track fro speed and the F355 F1's speed in the coner was 45.0 mph and the GTS was 49.3 , complete lap times F355 F1 73.70 seconds Viper GTS 70.55 seconds.

Motor Trend may 1998
    Las Vegas motor speedway road course, F355 F1 and Dodge Viper GTS
    road course times F355 F1 38.8 seconds Viper GTS 38.9 , it beat the GTS by ONE tenth of a second and the Viper GTS had non-spec all season front tires.

SO it beat the F355 F1 around Buttonwillow by 3 FULL seconds and it was ONE tenth off on all season non-spec front tires.

21. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

OK, I don't know where you Americans test your cars and with what kind of tyres, but when AUTOBILD, Germany's biggest (maybe not finest) Car-Mag tested the Corvette (OK, just the 2001 Model but anyways) they just got 127 ft braking distance.
    I now think that half of the American cars here have been tested with slick tyres which doesn't raise my opinion towards them.

The Vette can't brake that good because of its rather thin tyres, high weight and low drag.

And Vette_Power: If you say Land Speed Record most people will instantly think of highest speed and not 24h-average-Speed.
    Nobody cares about this record, that's why the Idiots at VW broke it, that's the one record their shitty W12 can hold for a while

22. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

TIM 851

The only car tested on DOT street-slicks was the Hennessey Viper Venom
    800 Twin Turbo , Motor Trend tested it i thier June 2001 issue.
    The Corvette Z06 that was tested in Febuary 2002 issue heres a quote
    " The four-wheel disc brake system is composed of hge , vented rotors ,
    backed up by ABS. for 2002 the engineering team specfied new more
    agressive front pads, The result is simply amazing 60-0 stops in just
    104 feet."
    here are the tires the car was tested on front 265/40ZR/17 rear
    295/35ZR/18
    Goodyear Eagle F1 SC.
    Motor Trend May 1998 , they test a base model Corvette C5 , braking 60-0
    116 feet.

23. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

This is getting interesting:

I've researched various sources - yeh, no life I know - including the ADAC (German Automobile Club) and a bunch of HPs of Magazins and all had around 125 ft. braking distance.
    There has been a record lately by a modified VW Golf who could do just under 100 ft. but this was a research-car with a trunk full of computers and they said the production-state of this system would be 2 years or so in the future.

But Scott I know you are not a guy who talks a lot of bullshit so I will keep on researching and in the meantime rely on your sayings.

24. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

Tim 851

Motor Trend June 1995

Porsche twin turbo , on factory Bridgestone S-02's did a 60-0 in just 99 feet. i have not seen anything to match that , and this is impressive as well Motor Trend July 1999, a 3726 lbs Ferrari 550 Maranello 60-0 in just 114 feet.

25. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

@Scott:

No German mag was ever able to produce the figures you mentioned. What I can think of is that since the DOT-Slick-Tyres are Road legal in the U.S. maybe the factory Bridgestone tyres of the 911, which I haven't heard of either, are of softer compound than allowed in Germany.

@Will:

What did you want to express?