WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

Discussion in '2000 Honda S2000' started by yungcarfreak, May 26, 2003.

1. #26 Honda rulez, Nov 17, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. #27 Stook02, Nov 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

Sorry.... i've just got to intervene.... its too sad. Too many times on this site people go from car to car, giving thier two cents, and its not worth a penny. If you want real info on what modding an S2000 will do then go to www.s2ki.com The S2000 is extremely difficult to mod to get good HP figures out of. The real enemy of the car is torque, and an engine for which, in comparison to other honda engines, not a broad variety of reltively cheap aftermarket parts are made. The parts available are few, but expensive. Most exhaust systems for the S2000 do little more than change the resonance, and decrease weight. My HKS decreased the weight by some 3lb's but had no affect on HP. My Injen intake gave me about 3hp and lightened it up by a few lbs' as well. The VTEC 2 i have on it gave me a good 12hp, something i was VERY suprised at. I figure a header will give me AT BEST 5-7 hp, and that may not even be at peak RPMS. If you want to go with cams then you can get a nother 20 or so hp. The only way to get 300hp from this car is to build it. You'll need pistons, all new exhaust, intake, port/polish, cams, head gasket, and gobs of the small stuff that most people don't understand. Even then you may need to raise the redline, and be lucky enough to pick the right package of components that makes power after 9000 RPM's. I'm telling you because i own one, its the funnest car i've ever driven, but extremely expensive to mod one. If you SC it however, you can get 340-350hp cheap. If you change the super charger's pulley, add an after cooler, the new figures could be above 400 hp. If you go turbo, hell, some guy in the north east just hit 500rwhp!!!!! Thats the highest ever that we at S2ki know of on a streetable AND reliable S2000. Ok..... enough of that, you've all read enough!!!

Brandon

Also, this car can hit 163mph if you redline in 6th gear. Many people at s2ki have hit 160 flat, but most admit that getting those extra 3-4 mph takes a slight down hill run.

3. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

I got got a used one of these a month ago, and i don't understand how anyone can get a time of 5.5 sec 0-60. Please explain, do i have to dump the clutch at 7000 to achive this?

4. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

A time of 5.4 was achieved by popping the clutch at 6000rpm.

Though being a used S2000 it may not be capable of it as it may not have been broken in properly, which often results in power loss.

5. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

R&T got 5.5 by dumping the clutch at 7500 RPM. Strangely enough, almost no wheel chatter was heard at the launch, but a chirp was heard on the 1-2 shift. I personally wouldn't recommend you do that to get good times to 60. What's the point, if there's a chance you could tear up the transmission/clutch? Also, you may need to go to a dragstrip to get better 0-60 times.

I've seen R&T claim 4.9 sec, though only once, and they posted an official test of 5.5 sec in a later issue. In general, as a normal driver, I would imagine 6.5 sec to 60. When pushed hard by the right people, in the right locations, under the right conditions, I can see 5.5 or even better.

It's a gem to drive, and the fun's only getting started at 6000 RPM! All I can say is what a rush. Puts a smile on my face every time.

6. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

3 Question for you guys out there
    1. Don't you think there should be some sort of standard for 0-60 times in terms of how much you can abuse the car? what's the point in knowing an S2000 can do 5.5 if you dump the clutch from 7500. Who's gonna do that regularly? Who will get enough practice doing it to get good at it?
    2. Is clutch wear based on HP when the clutch is realeased? Ex. if 2 cars both have 240 hp, 1 at 5000rpm and 1 at 8500rpm, will the abuse be the same to the clutch? or is the extra revs also detrimental?
    3. I'm new to driving stick, can someone exlain clearing how to launch the car quickly without abusing the car to much?

7. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

3 Question for you guys out there
    1. Don't you think there should be some sort of standard for 0-60 times in terms of how much you can abuse the car? what's the point in knowing an S2000 can do 5.5 if you dump the clutch from 7500. Who's gonna do that regularly? Who will get enough practice doing it to get good at it?
    2. Is clutch wear based on HP when the clutch is realeased? Ex. if 2 cars both have 240 hp, 1 at 5000rpm and 1 at 8500rpm, will the abuse be the same to the clutch? or is the extra revs also detrimental?
    3. I'm new to driving stick, can someone exlain clearing how to launch the car quickly without abusing the car to much?

8. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

One more question for you guys out there? What exactly does tourque do? cause the S2000 has none, but it goes like stink. What would say doubling the tourque of the s2000 ( i realize that can't be done) do to the performance? where would you notice? what times would it speed up and how much?

9. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

Torque would give you more power starting out, and make the car more capable of towing lots of weight.

That said - Torque and rpm are what generates horsepower.

Horsepower is how quickly your acceleration rate will increase, with more hp you'll accelerate more quickly, with more torque you'll start accelerating sooner but won't accelerate as fast.

Now, as for the 0-60 acceleration, yes it's capable of an astoundingly fast time for such a small engine, and yes, you do have to pop the clutch at a high rpm, but they did use a very durable clutch, the S2000 is designed to take that kind of stress, so it's not a real disadvantage, it's just more difficult, but on the other hand, with power coming at such high rpms, the car will be better for driving fast on twisty roads.

To achieve quick acceleration times, rev up to about 6000rpm before popping the clutch, and tap the gas in between shifts, this will get your rpm higher and once you're in gear, will give you more power (it will take a lot of practice to do that effectively), and don't waste time releasing the clutch softly, clutch in and out as quickly as you can once you get accustomed to the gas/clutch balance on the car.

10. Re: WOW i didnt know it could go 150mph!

To answer the question of doubling the torque, you have to ask where on the graph (over what RPM range) are you doubling it? If you leave the before-VTEC (

On a pure physical level, torque is the amount of twisting force that can be applied to a shaft. In the sense of a car, the shaft is the driveshaft. The more force applied to the driveshaft, the more force can be applied to the tires, thus making them either spin in place, or roll along the ground. All is dependent upon tires. It's a bit more complicated than that when you factor in limited slip diffs, etc, but that's the general idea.

It would be impossible to raise the torque, and keep the HP/everything else the same, though. As stated before, HP is a function dependent upon torque and RPM. The higher the RPM, the more the HP. Same is true for torque (more torque, more HP). RPM is one reason the S2000 has such a large HP rating. It can rev to 9k. If it could only hit 6.5k, it would be pumping out a bit less HP.

WOW - sorry for the long post! Hope it's helpful.