Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Discussion in '2001 HSV VX2 SV300' started by MaXXfunk, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

The Holden V8 engine was never designed in America.

2. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Your accident theory is wrong, that is not my opinion it is fact.
    I don’t know how you figured out a HSV is safer than a M3.
    BMW spends more money on R&D than Holden, not to mention they're a bigger company aiming to build top quality cars where Holden are content with vehicles made for the average person.
    The Passenger cell is more rigid in the M3 but the crumple zone is more efficient and better designed making it the safer car weather the collision be head on or offset as the passenger area is left undamaged but the chassis absorbs the shock and distributes it evenly.
    In any crash you have a greater survival chance in a M3 than a SV300.
    For example my uncle had a 500SL; he had a head-on crash with a bigger new Commodore S (VS) at a combined speed of ~110km/h.
    My Uncle and Aunty walked out of the car only with minor bruising and no long term damage.
    The passenger of the VS Commodore died shortly in hospital a few days later and the driver had damaged facial nerves which he will have for the rest of his life, not to mention having to have both his kneecaps replaced.

It may also interest you that because a car is bigger does not mean it is more comfortable, I assure you a CL600 is better to drive in terms of comfort than a much bigger Grange.

p.s Ford and Holden are as much Australian as Magna's and Camry's.
    As GMC and Ford US have a substantial holding on there Australian counterparts, Aussies tend to dislike Japanese people so they don’t consider Magna's and Camry's Aussie; despite the fact they are.

3. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

chev gen 3 v8. holdens best ever is a huge 215 kW v8

4. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Well actually its 230kw. Not to mention CSV getting 310kw and 636nm out of it.

5. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

310 kw out of a 5 litre engine is only 62kw/litre, or not much better thna nay decent euro stock

if its the 5.7 stroker then that slips to 54kw/l

6. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Well actually its a 5.8L stroker, it may not have kw per litre but it canes any n/a Euro V8 torque wise.

7. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

How about the W124 (Late 80's) 500E "The Hammer" (5.0ltr V8) with 595nm of torque.
    Mercedes also make a lot of Diesel engines with 550nm+ and with sub 4.0ltr displacements.
    When it comes to engines the Euros will always have a n/a engine better than the Aussies, or even Americans for that matter.

8. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Well I appreciate that, but its still less than 636nm. Diesel is good for torque but its not going to be going very fast is it?

9. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

There are a lot of fast Diesels.
    The C30CDI AMG, with 185kw and 560nm of torque,
    0-100 in 5.8 seconds.
    Alpina make some great Diesels with 300kw and beyond.

Torque really doesn't have a direct effect on speed (acceleration, max speed) it's power.
    Torque does have an indirect relation though, torque x revs = power.
    The stroker, being big bore, can't rev high due to balance and inertia; this is why it needs to make so much torque (to yield more power to go faster!)
    The S2000 Honda only has ~200nm of torque but 185kw of power due to high revs (9000rpm)
    In the end it's only really power that effects acceleration.
    That is why the 185kw small torque S2000 is faster than an 180kw big torque XU6, also due to being slightly lighter.

10. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

I think it is an accumulation of all of them : Weight, Torque and Power. You get a light car with a little bit of torque and a little bit of power then it can still perform well due to the weight. If you had a car with the same power and torque as the S2000 but heavier then it will perform shite. Therefore the lighter the car the less power and torque that is needed to get the same performance as a much bigger car. Likewise the heavier the car the larger the engine and the more torque is needed to get the same performance as a smaller lighter car.
    (thats my opinion neway)

11. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

you lose again.

The Chev 5.7 develops 460NM of torque in VXII guise, which is 80NM/L

The BMW 3.5 V8 develops 345NM, or 98NM/l, and at lower revs than the chev

12. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

what do you mean i loose again ? I said performance is the right package of power/torque/weight.

13. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

not talking to u, talking to holden nut who claims the chev V8 is ahead of the euro/jap engines for torque

14. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

It is, just not in terms of torque per litre, which doesnt do any car any favours other than sound impressive.

15. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

the beema develops more torque per litre at lower revs, that is comprehensively better

16. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

the beema develops more torque per litre at lower revs, that is comprehensively better

17. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

for what reason?

18. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

it develops more torque per litre, at lower revs, from an engine that likes a rev much more than the Chev.

is that clear enough for you?

19. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

WHo cares?

does it really make a difference in the scheme of things?

20. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

yet another completely meaningless, unintelligible post from frankster.

seriously mate, your a #$%#head

21. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

I actually agree with him for once. Stats aren't all that make an engine. Torque/L or power/L can sound imressive, but it really is irrelevant when it comes to sticking the engine in a car.

22. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

If u cant decipher that mate u r the *`==^^^ not I

so BMW engines do this or do that better in some cases better than the LS1 and the Ford Windsor

Kudos to BMW

does that mean the LS1 and Windsor are bad engines?
    no
    for the price they make quite good power

23. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

i don't think it is irrelevant as torque is quite important and so is power however like i said it is an accumulation of many thing's that makes a car great:
    good amount of torque and good tyres that can take it
    powerful engine
    light enough chasis
    and driving skills to make it perform well

a car that has all of these thing and more will always be great.

24. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

the whole car (holden performance models in general) are just life support systems for the engine, which ranks as alright to good rather than fantastic, which doesn't say much for the rest of the cars

25. Re: Yank tank with a lion logo on it...

Torque is very important but having more torque per litre is what we're saying isnt useful.