Prop 8 Rejected

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thedark1unknown, Aug 4, 2010.

1. #1 thedark1unknown, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Gay marriage backers cheer rejection of Prop. 8
    August 4, 2010 | 2:24 pm

Backers of same-sex marriage in California immediately cheered a federal judge's decision to invalidate Prop. 8.

“This ruling marks a victory for loving, committed couples who want nothing more than the same rights and security as other families,” Rea Carey, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, said minutes after Walker’s ruling was released. “From the start, this has been about basic fairness.”

Ramona Ripston, executive director of the ACLU of Southern California, also hailed the ruling.
    "This decision affirms that in America, we don't treat people differently because of their sexual orientation," she said in a statement."We rejoice at today's decision but there's a long road ahead toward establishing true marriage equality for same-sex couples."

Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown, the Democratic gubernatorial nominee, also released a statement: "In striking down Proposition 8, Judge Walker came to the same conclusion I did when I declined to defend it: Proposition 8 violates the equal protection guarantee of the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution by taking away the right of same-sex couples to marry, without a sufficient governmental interest."
    Rallies are planned for the afternoon and evening in San Francisco's Castro District as well as in West Hollywood and downtown L.A.

-- Carol J. Williams and Anna Gorman

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/gay-marriage-backers-cheer-rejection-of-prop-8.html

2. a lot of mormons and black people will be pissed

3. a lot of fumps will be ecstatic

4. except that they dont want to marry, they just want casual hookups and NAMBLA style dates

5. this news is gay

6. We won best team name at trivia tonight with "I overtured prop 8I and all I got was this gay marriage".

7. nice

8. Ace.

9. you win team names at trivia? :-D

10. This is awesome, I might have to steal it next time I'm at trivia here.

11. A victory for liberty

A blow to democracy

I'm a little conflicted...

12. blow to democracy having a court decide something is unconstitutional?

13. What the hell do I care? I'm not gay.

14. Something that is constitutional doesn't make it democratic and vice versa.
    Just to be pedantic.

15. we could have used that when hitler decided he can be chancellor and president at the same time while setting off the 4 year election cycle ;-)

16. Did your overture have an oboe? cause clearly it had it's bassoon.

insert standard SCN asskissery.

17. Why would anyone else turn up to a trivia evening with NB there? Do people then try to come second rather than first?

18. We actually came in second this time. Trivia was really easy this week with four teams tying for first and then a tiebreaker question. We were just edged out to second place. But it's cool, because the first place team has to buy the second place team drinks.

19. Yes, unless it actually is unconstitutional, which isn't true in this case.

20. As the judge in the case found, prop 8 violated both the due process and equal protection clauses in the federal constitution, which supercedes California's constitution. Not to mention that holding a popular vote to determine what rights should be extended or withheld from certain groups of people is entirely antithesis to the founding principles of the US.

21. Which is for the courts to decide...

22. ya man, #$%# the constitution

23. If 50% + 1 of Californians voted to "round up and tag Asians to be released back into the wild", and then California did it, would you be equally conflicted?

24. The thing I hate about pub trivia is marking the next tables paper. You get two tables of friends and watch the cheating commence.