Formula E stupidity

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by COUNTACH, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Its like life size RC car racing.

2. How dare they not make decisions based on your level of entertainment!

3. It's based on racing history. LeMans is THE most important sports car race in the World. These companies are giving that up for crap.

The FE cars are crap, they have no history, no sound,.

It's like replacing a Pagani w a Prius.

4. Car manufacturers are in these things for the tech and marketing. History is why some of the fans and marketers are there. I guess Porsche decided it was more worthwhile to put their eggs in a different basket.

5. They're investing in the future, not the past. Sadly, most people in their 20's couldn't give a shit about racing history.

Veyronman likes this.
  6. Watched Cars 3 with my nephews today. That movie was about these Electric Formulas replacing the combustion heritage. :(

Veyronman likes this.
  7. Kids nowadays dgaf about Le Mans anymore
    Winning Le Mans used to sell cars, but people that are about to enter their 30s nowadays and have the new money associate cars with passion as much as their telephones; it just needs to be flashy, quick and disposable. Being technologically advanced with electricity and the marketing machine attached to that is more likely to sell cars than a Le Mans win nowadays I think.

CitroenSM and Veyronman like this.
  8. Cars should have a selfie button on the steering wheel. The driver presses it, a selfie is taken, and it's posted instantly on her social media. Then have the latest Instagram posts from displayed as a HUD on the front window with swipe functionality.

9. [​IMG]

"Goddamn kids with their electricity, killing all the passion of candle light!"

-- you guys on the turn of the century

10. Whilst it's annoying for guys like us, it's clear to see why the big names are jumping on board now. With a few European countries now saying that they're pledging to not sell any new fossil fuel cars by 2040 they need to get a head start on electric drivetrain development.

Isn't it a good thing that they're concentrating on bringing people GOOD electric cars when the inevitable happens? The worst case scenario is for the OEMs to ignore it until 5 years before the supposed cut-off for the killing off of fossil fuel cars and to be playing catch up for the first decade whilst having to churn out cars that don't meet the expectations of the public (as far as performance, range etc are concerned).

Tesla has forced their hand to a point, too. The old guard has been caught on the hop whilst the new boys are smashing it.

We've all heard the news of the OEM's aspirations to have a range of electric cars alongside the traditional cars, with 2020 seeming to be the point at which we'll really start seeing a lot of options. Audi is already changing their nomenclature to reflect these aspirations (no engine sizes, but kW numbers on the badge) and I'm sure more will follow suit. FE is a test bed for the technology we're all going to be using given time.

It's a case of just get used to it. It genuinely is the future.

Also, FE is still in its infancy. I'm certain that with proper factory involvement the cars will get more exciting, faster, and they'll be able to drop the whole car swap thing as the development of the drivetrains and their efficiency is accelerated by the OEMs being able to plough their almost unlimited resources into it.

Just sit tight. We're in a massive transitional period in the history of the automobile, and this sort of stuff has to happen.

HippoCrushEverything likes this.
  11. Don't forget the Mission-E, due in showrooms in a couple of years.

[​IMG]

12. Let's be honest, no one gives a shit about cars anymore. They are uncool, they are a symbol of consumerism and they pollute the earth.

I see the few supercar owners around my city, and they all look like entitled 1% trust fund dickwads. The owners of affordable sportscars look like redneck inbreds. The truly cool kids drive around in automatic pieces of shit. Telling them that you are a car enthusiast is as cool as saying you have a stamp collection (if the stamps had pictures of child molestation on them).

Maybe with electric and autonomous cars, the next generation will come back to love cars, but for different reasons. Cars won't be the objectification of masculinity, money or thrill-seeking, they will be more associated with freedom and mobility. No more driving for the sake of driving because you like the G-force or steering feel, it will be driving (or be driven) for the road trip or for adventures.

And racing will only be cool with the autonomous Roborace, because that's the way of the future. People sitting in cars and going in circles is so 1910s.

13. How much of an impact will that make on the power grid, assuming it does? If it does, shouldn't they start planning to accommodate that too? And how quick are these things charging now. One of the biggest advantages to gas is it only takes a minute to refuel. And, if a hurricane comes and knocks power out for a week, you can still drive places.

14. Wrong, it'll be like this:

15. The impact is probably negligible. According to some analysis (here, here, here) the increase in electric vehicles will be gradual, allowing plenty of time for adaptation.

Plus, the only real impact of a massive fleet of EVs is that everyone will be charging their cars around the same time. It's conceivable that the majority of people will arrive home at 6pm and plug their cars in, at the same time. In order to avoid an overload, charging devices should be automated to spread the charging time to different hours of the night, like after 10pm. For all practical reasons, the cars will be fully charged and ready for use in the morning; they just shouldn't be charged all at the same time.

Well, clearly this will happen with research and development. That's one of the reasons why manufactures want to join Formula E. As technology advances, they might make batteries with longer ranges, be manufactured cheaply, be built lighter, and capable of charging faster. That's the main motivation for racing, to develop technologies through competition that will eventually reach the road.

Veyronman likes this.
  16. Duh. I posted that already. I asked how fast can they charge.

17. I don't know man, I didn't bring my crystal ball with me today in order to figure this out. Let me try and use Google instead.

And no, you were not simply asking how fast they charge, ffs.

Veyronman likes this.
  18. Tesla's 480V, 120 kVA superchargers take about 20 minutes for a 50% charge, and double that for 80% charge. A full charge takes an hour and a bit.

The Porsche Vman posted should be able to go from 0 to 80% in 15 minutes with a 800V system by simply parking on the right spot, no cables needed.

-Is refueling cars with petroleum-based products faster? -Yes, I can fill up in a minute

-Will future electric cars be quicker to charge? -Given the pace of development in battery tech, and all the money large car/electronics manufacturers are pouring in the field, I'd suspect that current battery technology will look as crap in 2030, as early 00's tech looks to us at the moment

-Will transitioning away from internal combustion engines as a primary source of energy in private motoring go smoothly, and without any investments/changes done to existing infrastructure? -**** no

-Will the transition happen regardless of these issues, or despite complaints that electric cars are less loud than LMP protos? -Yes it will

Veyronman likes this.
  19. #20 Veyronman, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Questions like this are likely to be answered over the next 20 years, which is the time that some are saying no new fossil fuel cars will be sold. Bear in mind that there will still be a huge number of them on the roads for potentially 50 more years after that, so this goes beyond our lifetimes. I don't have the answers, but that's what I'm saying about the big boys getting on board with FE now. It's a way to develop electric power trains and battery technology in order to be able to answer those questions following two decades of development and technological advancements

20. It startles me how short sighted people can be when questioning EVs and their proliferation in our society. This isn't something that'll happen next year. We're at the start of probably a century long transition from being almost fully dependent on ICEs to being almost fully dependent on EVs

Whether they "work" for the majority now isn't actually that important. What's important is that we start making the moves so that in three generations they work for the majority. We're just going to have to be happy to beta test it all.

Sick Boy likes this.
  21. What, because I'm Mexican you don't understand me? You bigot!

22. Dang, that's pretty quick. I'm guessing in the future they'll have swappable battery packs so you can store them for future use in the event of a hurricane. Basically like popping in a few AA's into a remote. I think the suckiest part is not being able to get 50HP off a simple intake/exhaust/tune.

23. Well, I'm more questioning the short sightedness of the government. So they plan on banning fuel burners. Did they mention any plans on power upgrades? Or are they going to be like Commiefornia and their brown outs?

24. As per the links I posted, the only concern is that everyone will be charging their cars at the same time, and this might overload the grid.

In terms of demand, most developed countries produce enough power to supply a massive fleet of EVs if necessary. One of the studies said that the American fleet of EVs is 5% of the total of vehicles on the road. They stated that if EVs became 75% of the fleet, the current energy system could easily supply them, no problems. Again, the problem to be overcome is creating a peak of consumption when everyone decides to plug their Teslas in at the same time.

Look at portable devices. In the year 2000 barely anyone had cellphones. 15 years later some countries have more smartphones than people. Plus tablets, laptops, cameras and smartwatches. All these devices get charged daily, no drama. Sure, it's a scenario several orders of magnitude smaller than the drain caused by car batteries, but still.

CitroenSM likes this.