Re: 6-speed for a 200 bhp car.....?????

Discussion in '2003 Acura RSX Type-S Performace Package' started by way2fast4u2, Aug 9, 2002.

1. 150hp engine diesels can have 6 speeds , what's wrong with that kind of gearbox in the Integra ?

2. Doesn't the new celica have an optional 6 speed trans? That has something like a 180 horses. Were you aware that more gears is more suitable for cars with low torque. Imagine this car with 3 gears and a car with 400 ft lbs of torque with 3 gears, which one will perform like a piece of crap? The gears multiply torque which is very beneficial in a low torque car such as this one.

Big rigs/semi trucks have lots of gears for maximizing torque output needed for carrying heavy loads.

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Tommy kaira</i>
    <b>
    I think that the 6-speed tranmision is not a good choice for a car like this. Can you believe that RSX previous version already had some trouble with finding the right gear for high rpm. If acura want to make 6-speed manual tranmission they should insert a turbo engine or an engine that have more than 240bhp. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Even a VW Sharan / Seat Alhambra has a 6-speed gearbox with its 110 hp 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine :S

jwstoop<!-- Signature -->

4. i must say im impressed.... howd they get cheetos in trirlies now? oh oh rite... about the car.. it sucks

5. 6 speed gear box is perfect for taking advantage of vtec. closer ratios. VTECs tend to be slightly better at making power on their high speed camshaft mode. about mustering 10%-15% up in torque on say what it would make at 3000. nice linear power, damn sweet to drive with a good gearbox

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Tommy kaira</i>
    <b>
    I think that the 6-speed tranmision is not a good choice for a car like this. Can you believe that RSX previous version already had some trouble with finding the right gear for high rpm. If acura want to make 6-speed manual tranmission they should insert a turbo engine or an engine that have more than 240bhp. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

WTF r u talking about? The 6spd gearbox in this is sweeet. Ok I've never driven the RSX, but I've driven the new Civic Type-R, and it's basicly the same car. Trust me... the gearbox works beautifully.<!-- Signature -->

7. 6-speed for a 200 bhp car.....?????

I think that the 6-speed tranmision is not a good choice for a car like this. Can you believe that RSX previous version already had some trouble with finding the right gear for high rpm. If acura want to make 6-speed manual tranmission they should insert a turbo engine or an engine that have more than 240bhp.